Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27 inch iMac (Late 2009) Freezes

My 27 inch iMac (late 2009) freezes after I put my screen to sleep. I can still bring my screen back on but the image is frozen and I can still move my mouse. I can also hear things going on in background, for example emptying the trash. Just wondering if somebody with a similar problems has found a solution. Any suggestions will help because I have tried all I know what to do like hardware test, clean install, reset pram, unplugging usb devices, etc. Also I am running Lion 10.7.4. and the problems has been going on for a year or so. It mostly freezes every few days but every now and then it will happen multiple times a day. It's highly annoying and I'm about to take it to the Apple Store even thought it's out of warranty and I do not have Apple care (Won't be making that mistake again).

Thanks,

Justin

Forgot to mention this seemed to start happening around the time I installed Lion on it and also upgraded the memory with Kingston branded memory.

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 5:40 PM

9 replies

Jun 13, 2012 5:59 PM in response to jc21711

Let me know how this pans out for you. I've been in the same boat since last July/August.

Same model, 27-inch late 2009. Upgraded memory (Kingston) and OS X Lion. Freezes aren't just attributed to sleep though. I get them randomly - today about 4 times so far. Once while watching a video, once wouldn't wake from sleep, twice I think attributed to wireless iTunes syncing with my iPad/iPhones.

Apple store replaced my logic board and CPU - still didn't help. Other threads suggest it's a video driver issue that may never be corrected. I'm resigned to working with a broken machine.

Jun 14, 2012 1:30 PM in response to Jsh1971

The problem still exists but this is what I did as a work around even though its not a great solution since I wanted to leave my iMac on all day long to kinda act like a server. My iMac only freezes after I put the screen to sleep and it does it randomly. So I just turned the screensaver on (I had it off previsouly) so my screen wouldn't go to sleep. I did this for when my iMac is powered up. When I'm not using it and I'm going to be away for a little while, I just put my iMac to sleep and use wake for network access when I need to access a file or let it perform various server duties.

As long as I can avoid the screen going to sleep my iMac won't freeze and so far the above has worked for me.

Nov 24, 2012 12:00 PM in response to jc21711

I have the same problem on my iMac 09 running 10.7 Lion but not only connected to sleep mode. It freezes randomly, the mouse can still be moved but clicking doesn't work, the keyboard is completely dead. Sound continues to work for a while, usually the current song on iTunes can finish but then it stops working also. Only way to get the computer working again is forced restart. Actually I'm suspecting iTunes could be causing the problem. I will not start iTunes for a while and see if it still freezes. Earlier I thought it was connected to my browser and switched from Firefox to Chrome but it did not help at all. Any other suggestions or fixes are highly appreciated. This is a really annoying problem!

Jun 23, 2015 12:19 PM in response to CMN82

Did you ever get this problem resolved. I never did. My late 09 27" iMac freezes up seemingly randomly. I can move the mouse but can't click anything. Or if the screen is asleep I'm stuck on the dark screen. I have to restart. Then everything runs fine for anywhere between a couple of hours and a couple of weeks.

27 inch iMac (Late 2009) Freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.