Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Empty trash not working

I have 2011 MacBook air and I tried to empty the trash, and only one file wouldn't delete because 'the file is still in use', but the application was turned off.

So then I went to finder and clicked secure empty trash, which then proceeded in emptying, but it stayed that way for a long time so I clicked close. Then, it did seem to close, but then didn't and was stuck in deleting. At that point the Air's fans began to crank up full speed and became extremely hot. I tried to turn off but didn't work so I just put it to sleep at the moment.

I'm new with Mac ( in fact this is my first Mac) so I had no clue what to do. In windows I just do ctrl+alt+delete but what should I do with Mac to close the frozen command ( in this case secure empty trash). I got scared bc of the fans and the heat. What should I do? I would appreciate some advice. Thank you.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 6:59 PM

You can restart on the menubar,  > restart. If it's stuck then just hold the power button down for 5 seconds and it will power off. Tap the power button to turn back on.

2 replies

Empty trash not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.