Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New operating system and can't find music

Is the iTunes music I download stored on my PC or stored in iTunes? I installed a new operating system, downloaded iTunes, logged in to my account, and I'm in but my music is not there. I thought the music I downloaded was all stored in iTunes but now I'm afraid that's probably not the case. Any assistance is appreciated.

iTunes 10-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 11:17 PM

6 replies

Jun 4, 2012 7:51 PM in response to diesel vdub

After installing my new operating system, I signed into Gmail and my email magically appeared. It didn't seem too far off to think that maybe iTunes worked the same way.

Anyhow, I'm happy to find out from the post below that I can still retrieve the files without having made the backup. Although, of course, this is a lessen learned that I should include the iTunes folder when I make a backup in the future.

Jun 4, 2012 8:08 PM in response to WhereMyMusic

WhereMyMusic wrote:

After installing my new operating system, I signed into Gmail and my email magically appeared.

This is because the email was never stored on the computer. Like all webmail accounts (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) the email is stored on the servers of the email provider and only accessed from the user's computer. This is why the user can access their email from any computer with an Internet connection.

iTunes on the other hand does not work that way. I do understand how one could come to the conclusion that you did without knowing the difference.

New operating system and can't find music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.