Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod touch 4th gen iOS5.1.1 can't be recognised by my computer and I have tried different cables and usb ports but nothing has worked. The iPod is brand new and was only opened today. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I have just today recieved a brand new iPod Touch 4th generation iPod with the latest update. Everything else on the ipod is working and my computer is able to read the camera fine, but iTunes cannot recognise it - even after restarting and trying different USB ports and cables. There is nothing at all coming up on the device list and iTunes is working as it would if I had no iPod plugged in. This is my first iPod on this computer and I have already tried redownloading iTunes. My computer is a windows XP computer. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this problem?

iPod touch, iOS 5.1.1, Brand new, only just opened.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 4:02 AM

Since this is an XP machine, which version of iTunes do you have installed? Is it the latest version?

Have you tried starting iTunes, attach the USB end of the cable, then while holding the home button on the iPod connect the 30-pin connector end of the cable to the iPod...that is the recovery mode but also should make iTunes see the iPod.

If that doesn't work you may need to take the iPod back and have it tested by the genius bar techs to make sure the connector is not bad.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2012 4:02 AM in response to MoonlightShadow125

Since this is an XP machine, which version of iTunes do you have installed? Is it the latest version?

Have you tried starting iTunes, attach the USB end of the cable, then while holding the home button on the iPod connect the 30-pin connector end of the cable to the iPod...that is the recovery mode but also should make iTunes see the iPod.

If that doesn't work you may need to take the iPod back and have it tested by the genius bar techs to make sure the connector is not bad.

My iPod touch 4th gen iOS5.1.1 can't be recognised by my computer and I have tried different cables and usb ports but nothing has worked. The iPod is brand new and was only opened today. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.