Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro random restarting

Hello there,

I own a MacPro, running OS X 10.6.8.

Several weeks ago it began to restart on its own, right after I turned it on. I ignored the issue and continued to work with it for several weeks.

Suddenly yesterday it began to behave funky again, to the point where I cannot work with it at all. I turned on the computer, and few minutes later, it restarted on its own for several times. The point where it restarts is random, sometime in the sing in section (when you place the password) or while I work on some program. I was trying to run DiskWarrior, and the machine restarted on its own again!

I am also using part of this Mac as a PC, so I tried restarting on PC to see if its only on the MAC side, but it didn't make it through, it restart again before the windows icon appeared. Then after several restarts on the Mac side, an error message appeared, on the grey screen before the apple icon appears. It is all writen in code and it says something like:

panic (cpu 0 caller 8x2aaf41): Machine check at .... (the picture is in my iPod but I don't know how to bring it into my computer).

By searching this forum, I read I could try by reseting the PRAM and NVRAM, but I wonder what the consequences are when doing this. And if I try reinstalling the software, would I still be able to keep the PC side intact? Cause I still need to access the PC side as it is? I was able to run a backup for the Mac yesterday, but I couldn't for the PC.

Thank you for your recommendations!

Emilia11

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 3:05 AM

It sounds like it is crashing during the boot and trying to reboot or just plain going into a panic crash.

Do the smc and pram reset. You aren't going to hurt anything.

Remove all non-essential periphials (hard drives, firewire connections, usb connections).

Boot from your installer dvd and run Disk Utility to repair/verify your drives (not repair permissions).

See if it boots in safe mode.

Also consider running Apple Hardware Test from your second installer dvd (boot with the D key).

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2012 3:05 AM in response to Emilia11

It sounds like it is crashing during the boot and trying to reboot or just plain going into a panic crash.

Do the smc and pram reset. You aren't going to hurt anything.

Remove all non-essential periphials (hard drives, firewire connections, usb connections).

Boot from your installer dvd and run Disk Utility to repair/verify your drives (not repair permissions).

See if it boots in safe mode.

Also consider running Apple Hardware Test from your second installer dvd (boot with the D key).

Jun 4, 2012 8:32 AM in response to Emilia11

panic (cpu 0 caller 8x2aaf41): Machine check at .... (the picture is in my iPod but I don't know how to bring it into my computer).

That is often caused by a Hardware error, but can be caused by aftermarket software you installed as well -- stuff like MacKeeper.

Those panic logs (I call them "Suicide notes") are stored on your computer and you can read them out and cut and paste then here if your computer will behave for a few minutes:

Mac OS X: How to log a kernel panic

Jun 5, 2012 2:43 AM in response to X423424X

Hello there

Ok, so I did run the AHT (the extended version that took about an hour to run) and it didn't find any issues. So my problem should be software related. I already did the SMC and the PRAM reset.

I restared the computer and few minutes later, it restarted on its own again. Will see how long it stays good...

If I boot it in "safe mode" when I turn it off, will it then start again in the normal way or will something be changed in the computer? I already read the article that X423424X suggested. I ask, because it says that some features don't work on Safe Mode... so I was just wondering.

The computer is still on... hopefully now it has been fixed... if not I will try the safe mode and if not I guess my only other option would be reinstaling Snow Leopard??

Thank you for your help!

Emilia11

Jun 11, 2012 2:20 AM in response to Emilia11

Hello X423424X

I just wanted to say thank you for your recommendations. So far my computer is behaving normally again after running the different options you gave me. I haven't run Safe Mode, since it hasn't been necesary.

I do have to say, only once again after doing the PRAM the computer did restart on its own when I moved the tower. I know it sounds awkward but, I had forgoten to plug my sound soI had to move the computer so I could insert the audio cable. The computer was running and it rebooted it self onits own. I have no answer for that. I will see if that happens again when I move the computer and will report back.

But so far, so good.

Thank you!

Emilia11

Jun 11, 2012 2:20 AM in response to X423424X

Hello X423424X

I just wanted to say thank you for your recommendations. So far my computer is behaving normally again after running the different options you gave me. I haven't run Safe Mode, since it hasn't been necesary.

I do have to say, only once again after doing the PRAM the computer did restart on its own when I moved the tower. I know it sounds awkward but, I had forgoten to plug my sound soI had to move the computer so I could insert the audio cable. The computer was running and it rebooted it self onits own. I have no answer for that. I will see if that happens again when I move the computer and will report back.

But so far, so good.

Thank you!

Emilia11

Jun 11, 2012 3:52 AM in response to X423424X

Hi X423424X

I probably should've kept the celebration for later....The computer is misbehaving again.

I put it to sleep, and as soon as I started it, it rebooted it self over and over again. It was working fine the last couple of days, that is why I was waiting on my reply...

Do you think I should try Safe Mode? And if I do, what is the difference, what would change in the computer?

If all of this doesn't work, can I re-install the software without erasing data on the MAC side?

Thank you!

Jul 4, 2014 11:29 AM in response to Emilia11

Hi Emilia

I know this is an old post, but I came across it since I have been having the same issue over the past few months. I am responding so that you (if you still need info) and others who come across this will have more info! I haven't figured out the whole thing yet, but I noticed that if I do not ever put my computer to sleep and just leave it on or completely shut down, the rebooting doesn't happen as often. I read an article on CNet about "kernel panic." There are many reasons for it to happen but maybe the information there will help the situation... for some reason Apple Support won't let me post the direct link, it just logged me out when I pasted it in! But the name of the article on CNet is "Tutorial: Avoiding and Eliminating Kernel Panics."

MacPro random restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.