Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I transfer my files from my ipod to my new desktop? ( My 'old' laptop just frazzled out the motherboard with all my itunes libraries in).

Can I transfer my files from my i-pod to my new desktop? ( My 'old' laptop just frazzled out the motherboard with all my i-tunes libraries in, strangely enough, the ONLY files I could not recover form the 'old' hard-drive. Therefore only copies are on my i-pod, other than the actual cd's themselves).

Hopefully its not the fact I have to re-burn all my cd's etc via the Desktop....

PLEASE HELP...if you can.

iPod touch (2nd generation), Windows 7, 'old' laptop was windows vista

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 4:04 AM

5 replies

Jun 4, 2012 7:12 AM in response to Blue D

Sync is only oneway, from PC to your device. Unless you have the same music on your new PC, iTunes is going to wipe out what you have on your device if you are syncing to a new library.

You can only transfer Purchased music over to Itunes on your PC.

iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iOS device or iPod to a computer

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848

As for you own music/videos, you may have to use a third party software. A good Free one is called Sharepod which you can download from Download.com here:

http://download.cnet.com/SharePod/3000-2141_4-10794489.html?tag=mncol;2

Jun 12, 2012 4:59 PM in response to wiclee

After much frustration, and many hours of effort, I've followed the steps in Ht4527. I realized that I also have to "download previous purchases" in order to have a complete list of all of my apps and music on my new computer. But now what? I'm still faced with the issue that my ipod is synced with another computer. Do I now erase and sync? Will I lose app progress? Do I need to remove all photos first?

Thanks

can I transfer my files from my ipod to my new desktop? ( My 'old' laptop just frazzled out the motherboard with all my itunes libraries in).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.