Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote access to USB hdd on airport extreme

I have a mac mini and airport extreme. I have been looking through the questions to find out how to allow my family to access the hdd wired via USB to the airport extreme. I have been able to find the ip address of the airport extreme but then look for the manual setup button/section but cannot find it.

My family will be using pc laptops so will need to know the setting required.

I guess I am look for an idiots step by step guide on how to do this as I have been able to do everything else but feel I am missing something. Please help.

Thanks,

Mark

Mac mini

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 6:02 AM

12 replies

Jun 5, 2012 11:28 AM in response to Tesserax

This help greatly. It has asked after following option 3 in the airport user tip that I "the DHCP range you have entered conflicts with the WAN IP address of your apple wi-fi base station" what do I need to change?

Also will this allow access from a remote windows pc or just a mac?

Thanks.

Jun 5, 2012 2:59 PM in response to 76ms

Your BT Homehub is both a broadband modem and router in one unit. Again, the tip will NOT work in this configuration and it would be the Homehub that you would have to make the port mapping settings for, not the AirPort Extreme. In this case, your AirPort would be performing as a NAS server on the local network and you would need to port map from the Homehub to the AirPort.

I suggest that you take a look at this Gigaom article that provides you with the necessary steps. Note: It references a Time Capsule, but it equally applies to the AirPort Extreme. Good luck!

Remote access to USB hdd on airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.