Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my phone died and won't turn on

The battery was at approximatley 70% when I answered an incoming call. Two to three minutes into the call the phone shut off and won't turn back on. I've tried holding down the button on top of the phone and the round button button on the face of the phone near the bottom, but cannot get it to turn back on or respond at all. Verizon has no other advice. It appears my contacts are stored in an iCloud, but nothing else. Anyone have any thoughts on turning the phone back on?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 8:36 AM

14 replies

Sep 14, 2017 5:37 AM in response to Nearly Restless Nick

Thank you, NRN! Saved me a trip to the Apple Store! #3 worked for me...3) (Timing is important for this one) Hold the Power button for 5 seconds, after that, hold both HOME and POWER buttons for 15 seconds, or till when you see the Apple icon light up.

Not sure that the "timing" had anything to do with the order in which Nick suggests these steps are taken. I went straight to #3, and it worked for me.

Thank you!

Jun 4, 2012 8:44 AM in response to QTodd A

Some of the things you can try are, in order,

1) Try to plug in the iPhone to a power source and wait for atleast 15 minutes, note if it gets warm or not.

2) Try to plug it into your computer, start up iTunes, if your device has somehow entered a DFU state, iTunes will tell you.

3) (Timing is important for this one) Hold the Power button for 5 seconds, after that, hold both HOME and POWER buttons for 15 seconds, or till when you see the Apple icon light up. If it does not, leave all buttons except HOME.

Leave it after 10 seconds if nothing happens.

4) If nothing works out, please post if it was getting warm while plugged in, and if iTunes reported it's state.

my phone died and won't turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.