Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why wont my Mac Pro Start?!?

Hello All

My Mac Pro (Early 2008) has begun acting strange. It wont power on.

I have done some trouble shooting (Removed all attached Devices (USB, ESATA, NETWORK,) Basically the only thing plugged in the rear is USB for keyboard / mouse and 1 DVI Monitor Hook up.

I replaced the power cable (Jug Cord), changed which wall socket the power plugs into.... but still it wont start.

A fix is to Pull Out the power cord from rear of MAC Pro, leave out for about 1 minute and then plug it back in. I hear it click and then it will start up once i press the power button. However once I Power back down, same problem.

Is this a faulty PSU? Or is there an internal Battery that could be causing problem?

I have tried removing the ram sticks also, same problem.

MAX OSX 10.6.8

2x4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

10GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 8:42 AM

16 replies

Jun 4, 2012 9:27 AM in response to New Zealand

It is a possibility.

I provided the battery info in direct response to your request.

US$5 is an upper limit, to help you not get cheated. A computer dealer once demanded US$20 from me to buy a simpler (but less common) battery, and installation was EXTRA. I was later able to buy abox of 20 of them for $20. [Clearly some folks have no shame when it comes to price gouging.]

These BR 2012 batteries are used in many common devices such as garge-door opener remotes.

Jun 7, 2012 10:47 AM in response to X423424X

Good idea to try the hard drives also, i will do this tonight. Havent actually opened up the case to see RAM LEDS, basically when i go to press power on, there is NOTHING. When the jug cord is plugged into the computer, my Apogee Duet (SOUND CARD) does light up if i leave it attached to the computer via its Firewire cable. I also hear the MAC make a click sound when i plug the cord in.However there is zero power when pressing the ON button. FANS Do Not run either. Just deathly ugly silence. I can pull out jug cord, leave for 1 minuted, plug back in, wait 20 seconds and then i can press the power button and it will start. Once up it shows the 10GB of RAM that is installed. Will get some compressed air today and give it a good blow. Will keep you posted, and thanks for advice!

Jun 7, 2012 11:11 AM in response to New Zealand

remove any PCIe card other than gpu

try a different power cord and it sounds like it may not be pushed in flush all the way.

psu is possible and can be replaced. could be dying psu

There are those that use compressed air but there are some dust busters designed to work with and around electronics.

FBDIMMs do run hot. They also need slightly increased fan speed and monitorinig temps to under 70*C.

2008's had 2.8-3.0-3.2GHz not sure why or what you have but typo.

Jun 7, 2012 10:16 PM in response to New Zealand

Alright i have stripped out each internal component. Only 1 HDD in bay 1, Keyboard and 1 x Monitor DVI connection.

Powered up and down several times no problems.

Added second HDD into Bay 2. Powered up and down several times no problems.

Added thrid HDD into Bay 3. Powered up and down a few times then heard a screaming FAN noise.

Held down power button for immediate shutdown. Tried to power back up and can hear a fan inside going at 110%. Nothing coming up on screen.

Closer inspection shows the Fan on the Nvidia is spinning and nothing is being outputed. If i put my finger on the fan to silence it, i can hear the hard drives ticking over (assuming they are booting into the OS)

So im going to conclude that my Graphics card is dead?!...I tired putting into a different expansion slot and same problem. Computer starts but fan screaming on graphics card.

Anyone know a good one to replace with? I am not a gamer, just use Logic and Firefox.

Jun 8, 2012 6:12 AM in response to New Zealand

Really good trial and error to get to the culprits!

Some cards have cheap bad fans, some need to be cleaned regularly, sometimes removing the housing.

the 4th drive bay gets the least amount of air flow and more trouble with drives.

Nvidia 8800GT can 50% of the time be "brought back to life" if the fan works. They have a tendency to fail if they get too warm but the cure is to bake it for 10 minutes @ 350*F.

ATI 2600XT was the stock OEM and were being replaced and have extended-extended support even out of warranty.

And yes the 5770 is your best bet... as long as your system has 10.6.5, but don't expect to be able to boot from older DVDs. Apple only offers 10.6.3 or a Lion + SL $69 flash memory stick.

Jun 9, 2012 11:51 AM in response to The hatter

Interesting, so putting a ATI 5770 means i cant boot from DVD? How come?! What if i need to re install OS from DVD?

Secondly, i was reading apple website http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3891

Mac Pro: Using ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card with Mac Pro released before 2010

Symptoms

You may notice display anomalies or issues playing back video or other HDCP-encoded content when you use an ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card in Mac Pro computers released before the Mac Pro (Mid 2010).

Resolution

The ATI Radeon HD 5770 video cards are supported only on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) models. They are not supported in earlier versions of Mac Pro. Learn more about graphics card compatibility for Mac Pro.

Then It says:

Graphics cards for Mac Pro (Early 2008)

• ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (part number 630-9191 or 630-9897)
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600
  • ATI Radeon HD 4870, offered as an upgrade kit
    Note: The Radeon HD 4870 card requires Mac OS X v10.5.7 or later for use with the Mac Pro (Early 2008).

Can someone tell me, whats the difference between all the 4870 Cards?

This one is $130

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-EAH4870DK-HTDI-512MD5-Radeon/dp/B001KZOJCE

This one (refurbished yes) Is less than $50: Will this one work in my Mac Pro??!?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150594

I dont really have $200+ for a 5770 Card now.

Why wont my Mac Pro Start?!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.