Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Viewing Ethernet connected devices on a Time Capsule router?

My Configuration:

I have configured a Time Capsule as a router and have two AirPort Expresses wifi connected to it, both configured as range extenders.

AirPort Utility (v 6.0) provides excellent visibility on the connectivity and status of my network wifi devices; by clicking on the Time Capsule or either of the AirPort Expresses I can see exactly what wifi clients are connected to each - and confirm the range extension of the wifi network through the wifi devices connected to the AirPort Expresses. Cool setup!

Two questions:

- What utility can I use to get visibility on the Ethernet connected devices on the Time Capsule router? The Time Capsule Router does not seem to have a web console (i.e. browse to 192.168.1.1)

- Looking at the AirPort Utility, beside one of the two AirPort Expresses is a red circle with a number 1 in it. What is this? It does not change and is not related to the number of wifi clients connected to the device. The other Airport Express does not have this red circle.

Thanks!

Woody

Time Capsule (as a router)-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 12:06 PM

Download AirPort Utility for Lion: AirPort Utility 5.6.

Select your Time Capsue, click Manual Setup, click the Advanced tab > Logs and Statistics > Logs. You will see a running log of the MAC addresses of all the devices that are connected, including Ethernet clients. Their addresses appear after "Associated with station..."

The red circle "badge" probably means a firmware update is available. Selecting the Express in AirPort Utility 5.6 will let you know what it is requesting.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2012 12:06 PM in response to YYZWoody

Download AirPort Utility for Lion: AirPort Utility 5.6.

Select your Time Capsue, click Manual Setup, click the Advanced tab > Logs and Statistics > Logs. You will see a running log of the MAC addresses of all the devices that are connected, including Ethernet clients. Their addresses appear after "Associated with station..."

The red circle "badge" probably means a firmware update is available. Selecting the Express in AirPort Utility 5.6 will let you know what it is requesting.

Jun 4, 2012 12:46 PM in response to John Galt

John,

Thanks for the quick and detailed response!

Yep - I needed APU v5.6:

1) The red badge (displayed in APU v6.0) was indeed a notification for a firmware upgrade (via APU v5.6)

2) Using APU v5.6, under Advanced, the Logs, Wireless Clients, and DHCP Clients sort of gives the me info I am looking for:

- Logs: is a running list of everything and "Associated with station <MAC address>" is hardly useful information; that's why there are Client IDs

-Wireless Clients: again identified by MAC Address instead of and/or Client ID

- DHCP Clients: close! has both MAC Address AND Client ID - but I also want to see the statically addressed devices below my DHCP range (which I could maybe find burried in the log by MAC Address ....)

An all Apple router + wifi + ethernet connected network, with AirPlay and AirPrint, is ultimate! Needs utilities to match tho. My wish list to Apple:

- Combine the advanced features of APU v5.6 with the enhanced device connection graphic depiction in v6.0 in to one single AirPort Utility so I don't have to run both

- Add DHCP and Statically Addressed devices to the rollover of the router graphic

Your guidance most appreciated!

Woody

Viewing Ethernet connected devices on a Time Capsule router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.