Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive Bay 4 Overheating.

I recently pulled the hard drives (setup as a RAID array) out of a Mac Pro because of a failed drive. After testing the drive that had occupied bay 4 it was discovered that it had a peak temperature of 70 degrees Celsius. With the new drives in, I noticed that the temperature of the drive in bay 4 is slightly higher than the others, in fact the temperature of the hard drives closer to the back are higher than the drives closer to the front.

I need to figure out if there is a problem with this system before another drive gets toasted. Has anyone had this issue before, and if so how did you resolve it?

Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 12:55 PM

4 replies

Jun 4, 2012 1:18 PM in response to Mr. Shannon

The bays on most Mac Pros have a metal tab underneath the SATA connector, on the motherboard itself. I believe that tab connects to a temperature sensor.

If the metal tab makes contact with a metal part of the drive, the Mac can sense the temperature and boost the fans when it gets too hot. If it is not making contact, why not?

Jun 5, 2012 5:38 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

If the metal tab makes contact with a metal part of the drive, the Mac can sense the temperature and boost the fans when it gets too hot. If it is not making contact, why not?

I don't think this is the problem, the hard drive bay temperature sensors are giving reasonable temperature readings of about 5 degrees below the internal hard drive temperature readings.

Hard Drive Bay 4 Overheating.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.