I know this is a common issue, but I haven't seen an answer that works for me. So here's my best attempt to explain what I've got:
- I've had the iPad3 about 2 months now. I had no problems on ios 5.0, but it started after the upgrade to 5.0.1.
- The problem comes and goes every few days.
- When I lose sound, I don't lose ALL sounds. Usually, the unlock swoosh noise works. But I don't get the camera sound, or the click when I switch it off. Also, I can't hear anything in facetime. However, if I use headphones, I can hear all. I never lose ALL sounds, so it's not likely a headset jack problem.
- I have tried all the ideas about the mute switch, reset, reboot, etc. that have been in previous posts on the subject, so please don't repeat those.
- I'm pretty certain that this is a software problem, and that's because of this: I noticed that if I use the buttons on the side to control the volume, the screen graphic changes when I'm having the problem. Usually, the graphic shows up, says something like "Sound Effects", and has a little volume bar on the bottom, which increases as you press the "up" button. When I'm having sound problems, this little volume bar on the bottom of the screen graphic DISAPPEARS.
- I have not been able to find a way to reproduce the problem (or get it to clear). I'm not adding apps - I've been pretty stable through all of this. But while I was on a recent trip, I used the camera quite a bit (using the screen for snapping, not using buttons). When the problem occurred, you didn't have the shutter snap sound, but if I took enough pictures, usually the sounds would randomly start working. But I have no consistent way to create or clear the problem.
Since I'm still under warranty, I'm going to walk it into an Apple store this week, to see if they have any clue. Unless someone has a solid answer here. If I don't get someone posting how to fix this before I go, I'll post an update from what I learn at the Apple store.
Thanks in Advance!