Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backspace functionality in Mac?

This may not be an appropriate location for this query but I'm sure many on here can help me and I apologise if I should not post request like this here.

Basically i am getting to grips with Mac from Windows and i'm getting on ok mostly but one thing i cant seem to find a replacement process for is the back arrow function. (mass delete)

For example (i'll use excel to demonstrate my issue)

I have data in a spreadsheet and I want to delete all in cells A1 to B10 but i dont wish to delete the Columns or rows as I need them.

In windows I highlight the cells and click the backspace key and it delets all from all highlighted cells.

On the mac if i do that it only deltes the data in the cell im located at and i have to delete all cells individually.

Can anyone please advise how i get the functionality of the mass highlighted backspace delete using the mac?

Thanks G

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply
9 replies

Jun 4, 2012 4:55 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy, it all looks great and i'm sure it will all be useful in the future but i cant see the answer to this particular query in there.

The closest is for windows backspace use the User uploaded file Delete key but my kyboard on my imac does not have this key. If this is te same as the back arrow key then my query remains as this key only deltes one cell at a time and not the whole highlighted region. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Gary

Jun 4, 2012 5:18 PM in response to gse520

Delete is the same as back space ... on a notebook keyboard fn delete is forward delete.

Other than that, in Numbers which is the nearest I have to excel, the cell contents in any selected area are deleted with either (back space) delete or forward delete.. no difference..

It must be something different with either with your spreadsheet or with excel.

You could try deleting cell contents on a new practice sheet..

A new post headed Excel problem or something similar would get users with excel to answer..

Best.

Backspace functionality in Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.