Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What system install disks and other disks came with the iMac G4 1GHz 17"

Hi,

Does anyone know what CDs or DVDs originally came with an iMac G4 1GHz 17" flat screen, model PowerMac6,1 (version = 3.3)? Think that is the M8935LL/A. Got it used and it didn't come with the Apple disks when I bought it. I would like to see if I can find ones like then.

Is there a version number or part number on the disk or something like that I can look for? If so, would it be the same as the iMacs' model number or something like that?

Would any iMac install disk with 10.2.x work?

Would they have been CDs or DVDs or both?

How many disk came with it? Was there one DVD with everything on it, or more than one disk? For example, was some software like; iDVD, World Book 2003 Edition, AppleWorks 6, Quicken 2003 Deluxe, Apple Developer Tools, Otto Matic, Deimos Rising, Sound Studio, etc, on disks other than the "gray" system install ones?

I would like to know what to look for. I found the technical specifications for the M8935LL/A, and that list the software that is on the HD. However, I don't see a part number for the install CDs. It also says it came with 10.2, but doesn't say 10.2.0 or 10.2.1 or what 10.2.x exactly. This one has 10.2.8 now, but it was updated.

Thanks for any info
Joe

Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 4:11 PM

1 reply

Jun 5, 2012 2:18 AM in response to NotFirstTimeHere iMacer

It believe your iMac G4 model would be this one

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_1.0_17_fp.html

Sorry for not answering your specific question, but I suggest not bothering with finding the original disc(s), because it originally came with Mac OS X 10.2. That old version of Mac OS X would be somewhat useless, due to lack of recent software that is compatible. That iMac (as long as it is the 1.0 GHz model or faster) can run up to 10.5.8 (the last version of Mac OS X for PowerPC Macs), which is "Leopard" and still has decent compatibility with recent software. It would be best if it has at least 1GB (1024mb) of RAM, to run Leopard well (512mb is minimum). You'll have to find a used copy on eBay or elsewhere. Make sure it is a "retail" copy (a disc that was sold separately in a box), and not a gray-colored disc that came with a specific Mac model. You can buy any version of Leopard and use free downloadable updaters from Apple to get it up to 10.5.8, along with any other updates (such as for Safari and iTunes).

The previous major release, 10.4.11 ("Tiger"), would also be a good choice because it needs less RAM and is able to use "Classic" to run old Mac OS 9 programs (if that's important to you).

If there was a second original disc, it would have the bundled software. The most important part of the bundled software is the iLife suite. Again, the version that came with that iMac would be very old, and it would be better to find a retail copy of a more recent version that is compatible with a G4 Mac. Note: The current version of iLife is for Intel Macs only.

What system install disks and other disks came with the iMac G4 1GHz 17"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.