Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iTunes or QuickTime Player let you burn an mp4 file onto an audio CD?

I want to burn some MP4 videos (i.e., the audio portion only) onto audio CDs; I guess that would mean converting to .aiff files, right?

Can this be done in either iTunes 10.6.1 or QuickTime Player 10.0? I'm running Mac OS 10.6.8 on a Mac mini, if that makes any difference.

Or do I have to find some third party software to do the conversion and then burn the CDs?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), QuickTime Player10.0; iTunes 10.6.1

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 5:50 PM

1 reply

Jul 4, 2012 4:52 AM in response to barbw6

I want to burn some MP4 videos (i.e., the audio portion only) onto audio CDs; I guess that would mean converting to .aiff files, right?

Depends on how you plan to play them back. AIFF can be played on almost any commercial audio CD player. MP3 files can be played on most current CD players. Apple Lossless or AAC could be used if playback is through your computer. The choice is really yours.

Can this be done in either iTunes 10.6.1 or QuickTime Player 10.0? I'm running Mac OS 10.6.8 on a Mac mini, if that makes any difference.

Yes, but the work flow may be different depending on which software and audio compression format you use. E.G., QT 7 Pro could extract the MP4's AAC audio track directly to an new file without conversion if AAC is your target format. As previously mentioned, QT X could be use to recompress the MP4 to an audio only AAC file. The free MPEG Streamclip or QT 7 Pro apps could be used to convert the MP4's AAC directly AIFF files. Converted or extracted AAC files could be added to your iTunes library where iTunes could create and burn a "Playlist" of such files to CD using AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3, or WAV compression formats dependin on your playback requirements. (Unfortunately, iTunes will not directly extract and reprocess/burn the AAC audio directly from MP4 files already in its library.

User uploaded file

Will iTunes or QuickTime Player let you burn an mp4 file onto an audio CD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.