Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the difference between "junk" and "trash?"

In Mail, in the Mailboxes pane, there are both "junk" and "trash" mailboxes.

What is the difference between these? I thought they were both synonyms for the same thing.

In addition, I don't see a "spam" mailbox in Mail. Is that different from "junk" and "trash"?

This is important, because when I sign up for a forum, it will tell me I must check for a confirmation message, and if I don't see it, I must check my "spam," "junk" or "trash" folder.

Which folder am I supposed to check?

I don't see the confirmation in either "junk" or "trash," so does that mean it's in the missing "spam" folder???

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2017 5:16 PM

so if i put an email in junk, that sender will be considered spam and i will never receive an email from them again?

4 replies

Jun 4, 2012 9:43 PM in response to Timothy Arends1

Timothy Arends1 wrote:

In Mail, in the Mailboxes pane, there are both "junk" and "trash" mailboxes.

What is the difference between these? I thought they were both synonyms for the same thing.

In addition, I don't see a "spam" mailbox in Mail. Is that different from "junk" and "trash"?

This is important, because when I sign up for a forum, it will tell me I must check for a confirmation message, and if I don't see it, I must check my "spam," "junk" or "trash" folder.

Which folder am I supposed to check?

I don't see the confirmation in either "junk" or "trash," so does that mean it's in the missing "spam" folder???

Junk = Spam

Trash = what you have deleted

Pete

What's the difference between "junk" and "trash?"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.