Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manually arranging files in Finder?

Hi,

I have a folder with many pictures in it. Right now, they are in a list sorted by name:

Pic A

Pic B

Pic C

Pic D

I would like to manually re-arrange a few so that it looks like this:

Pic A

Pic B

Pic D

Pic C

However, Finder won't let me take them out of their arrangement. When i try to drag a file down, it just snaps back to its original position.

I've set it as Arrange by-none and sort by-name, so shouldn't this let me move them?

Thanks!

13' 2010 MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 12:11 AM

I found a way to kind of manually sort files in a folder...

I’m doing this on Maverick.

This doesn't work when you are in "View as Icons" mode.

1. Click on file.
  2. Command + i (for “Get Info” in the File menu).
  3. An Info window of that file will pop up.
  4. Click on the arrow to expand the "Comments:" tab.
  5. Type a number ("1" for if you want the file to be first in the list, "5" if you want it to be the fifth, etc.). Or you could use letters.
  6. Exit out of the Info window.
  7. Command + J (for "Show View Options" in View menu).
  8. Click the box next to "Comments." Make sure a checkmark appears.
  9. Click Use As Defaults so Comments will show up every time. It will show up for every folder you open (as long as the folder has at least one file showing). So, hopefully that doesn't annoy you.
  10. Now there is a new column called "Comments" in your Finder window.
  11. You can drag the "Comments" column to any position (like right after the "Name" column) if you want.
  12. When you click the Comments column, it will sort the files in numerical order (based on what you put for your comments). Or alphabetical order if you chose to use letters instead of numbers.

Still haven't figured out how to make this sorting option default since Comments isn't one of the options to Sort By in the View Options window. So, you'd have to click the Comments column to sort the numbers each time you open that folder.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 12:11 AM in response to lodeke10

I found a way to kind of manually sort files in a folder...

I’m doing this on Maverick.

This doesn't work when you are in "View as Icons" mode.

1. Click on file.
  2. Command + i (for “Get Info” in the File menu).
  3. An Info window of that file will pop up.
  4. Click on the arrow to expand the "Comments:" tab.
  5. Type a number ("1" for if you want the file to be first in the list, "5" if you want it to be the fifth, etc.). Or you could use letters.
  6. Exit out of the Info window.
  7. Command + J (for "Show View Options" in View menu).
  8. Click the box next to "Comments." Make sure a checkmark appears.
  9. Click Use As Defaults so Comments will show up every time. It will show up for every folder you open (as long as the folder has at least one file showing). So, hopefully that doesn't annoy you.
  10. Now there is a new column called "Comments" in your Finder window.
  11. You can drag the "Comments" column to any position (like right after the "Name" column) if you want.
  12. When you click the Comments column, it will sort the files in numerical order (based on what you put for your comments). Or alphabetical order if you chose to use letters instead of numbers.

Still haven't figured out how to make this sorting option default since Comments isn't one of the options to Sort By in the View Options window. So, you'd have to click the Comments column to sort the numbers each time you open that folder.

Dec 31, 2015 9:23 AM in response to lodeke10

I found this page in the SERPs for "mac custom order files in finder" and subsequently figured out my own solution in the process. It's true that Finder cannot put Pic D in front of Pic C, so I resorted to third party software called A Better Finder Rename. What I did was keep open a Finder window with thumbnail view, then click and drag the list view in this software to the sequence needed. Then simply let this app add an index number to the end of each filename.

This would work assuming you do not absolutely need the filenames to be Pic A, Pic B, etc. For me, I just had to manually sort image files to correspond to their index in a slide carousel having scanned them in the wrong order. Anyway, maybe this will lead someone to a solution even three years later!

Manually arranging files in Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.