I also experienced this same problem, but due to an OS upgrade. If you are the only user, and hence administrator, to solve it in OS10.7.5 do this:
Open Home folder (cmd-shift-h)
Get info (cmd-i)
Click on Sharing & Permissions to expand
Click the padlock icon and enter the administrator password
Click the + button and then Users & Groups > Administrators and click select
You should now see your username in the list. Just change the privilege to Read & Write
Hi NigelB-S unfortunally did not work. But I did the same as Claudio C. I called Apple Support in Brazil (0800 761 0897) and they solved the problem reseting my Permissions.
Follow the steps that I did.
- Turn on your mac and press COMMAND + R until the safe login screen appears.
- At the menu on the top you have to hit UTILITIES and then open TERMINAL
- On the TERMINAL you have to type RESETPASSWORD and hit enter(return).A new window will pop up called Reset Password
- Select your Macintosh HD and your user account right bellow. DO NOT CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD!
- Go to the bottom of this window where it says RESET HOME FOLDER PERMISSIONS AND ACLS and hit RESET.
- After the process is done, close the window Reset Password and reset your MAC.