Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

selected movie won't play

Just purchased Yellow Submarine (HD), the new one just released. On a Mac Pro with Apple 30" Cinema Display. Get error message "The selected movie won't play on your Display", This movie can only be played on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)."

How the heck am I able to purchase a movie via iTunes on a Mac that a Mac won't play? There's no warnings or anything about it in the iTunes store or anything.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 2:16 PM

52 replies

Jun 22, 2017 7:40 PM in response to Bili_Rubens

I was trying to find alternatives to my stuttering Apple TV gen 2 when I realized my newish computer had a HDMI port so I unplugged the cable from the Apple TV and plugged it into computer only to be met with this error message about HDCP. I decided to see if anyone else on the net had this problem and it looks like it is pretty common. When I read about the PRAM dance I thought this won't work, I have found over the years that it rarely solves any problems but I tried it and to my surprise it does work.

Thanks

Sep 15, 2012 2:15 AM in response to J. Tuttle

I don't think it is your Mac mini. It is either your television, or the cable you use to connect the mac mini to your TV. If you are using a VGA cable connected to a mini display port, then perhaps you should try an HDMI cable.

I had the same problem and came here looking for answers, since all my SD videos played fine with the Display port / VGA combination, but my HD video I just purchased didn't.

Sep 21, 2012 1:14 PM in response to KeanuReeves

I'm having the same issue, but it's a little weird. I bought Cabin in the Woods in HD on Tuesday and it played just fine on my monitor that night. I went to watch it last night, with the same set-up and everything, and iTunes gave me the HDCP error. I tried hooking up my AppleTV to my monitor using an HDMI cable and playing the movie that way, but it gave me the same error.

How is that possible that worked once, with a MiniDisplay/DVI cable connecting it to the monitor, and then not work the next day when nothing had changed?

Oct 16, 2012 3:42 AM in response to BenB

I had exactly the same issue, having bought and played lots of movies they suddenly all wouldn't play. Cue indignance, forum searches, swearing etc etc. Then I figured it out.

The Macbook Pro has two graphics cards, one "Integrated" one "Discreet". One plays the HD stuff on your screen, one produces the error message above. You can get an extension called gfxCardStatus which shows you which one is in use and also enables you to switch manually between them if you need/want to. gfxCardStatus by cody krieger

I guess mine had switched for some reason.

I switched to "Integrated" and voila, the HD stuff works fine again.

Hope that helps.

Oct 28, 2012 2:41 PM in response to BenB

Hello guys,

Please note that to be able to play your purchased HD movies or videos, let us not forget some minor details. Ensure that your iTunes software is up-to-date. HD videos will only play if you have iTunes 10.6 or later as described in this article:

iTunes: Purchasing and viewing HD videos

You might also want to check this one:

iTunes for Windows: Unable to view or play HD video content that requires HDCP

I hope this helps a lot! Good luck! 🙂

selected movie won't play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.