Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri Location awareness on wifi

At home (on Comcast) in N. California when on Wifi if I ask Siri if I need an umbrella today, it told me that it doesn't look like rain in Los Angeles.

When I turn off Wifi, it answers appropriately based on my location.

So is the WiFI messing with Siri's head?

Searched for info on this but couldn't really find a difinitive answer.

Mike

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 3:22 PM

3 replies

Jun 5, 2012 3:49 PM in response to Wunderboy

The iPhone GPS uses a combination of information from GPS plus triangulation from known cellular tower locations and a database of wi-fi hotspot locations to determine your location (see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4995). Not sure why this is happening with your wi-fi but if you moved your router to a new location since the database was established it may be using inaccurate information for triangulation. (This approach assumes that wi-fi hotspots rarely move.)

Jun 5, 2012 4:00 PM in response to randers4

So when I say at home, I really mean at home. I am sitting at my house, on WiFi through my Airport Extreme, with internet provided by Comcast.

I did know about the triangulation already and database but was thorougly confused that it would think I am in LA...at least, hit a bigger city nearby like SF.

I don't think my router stores any info about location, plus i have been here at this house for over 5 years now.

Just didn't expect it to work like that.

Yes, location services are on and I have my info entered in for Siri.

Maybe just a hickup in the system. I recreated it about 2 to 3 times before posting. Will see how it works tomorrow.

Jun 18, 2012 9:31 AM in response to Wunderboy

Seems to be an issue with my internet connection. So far Siri now knows where I am. However, I noticed that the home page of Yahoo thought I also was in Los Angeles and I had to manually select San Francisco. So there might be some weird way my internet get routed that a program that uses that for location awareness thinks I originate in Los Angeles. Maybe Siri used this too a couple of times.

Just the age old problem of garbage in garbage out.

Siri Location awareness on wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.