Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having Problems

Ok, so everytime i start my computer im geting this error message that pops up.

"Apple Script Error

mkdir: /users/myusername/library/logs: file exists (1)"

Not sure what really happened, but my computer see to be in this like timewarp were everytime i start it up, it starts from the same point. all i did was run Onyx, and then this happened. i did nothing that i havent done before. all i ran was Automation, for anyone else who knows what it is. then after i shut my mac off and back on, properly. Onyx pops up and shows that error above, then it seems to just close out. i checked the file that it says and theres things in there. so im not really sure whats up. disk utility and onyx both say my Hard drive / statup volume are ok. but it would seem that there not ok.

also final cut pro x says that it has no projects nor any events but i can see the files in finder. i tried reimporting them but nothing is really working. tried opening iPhoto and it says something like this is locked please repair.

Then luanchpad is also for some reason, well when i start up my mac its fine. then something happens where all the icons dissapear for some reason.

anyone know whats going on here?

15" MacBook Pro (Mid 2009)-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Intel Core Duo 3.06GHz 500GB@7200

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 4:49 PM

11 replies

Jun 5, 2012 5:37 PM in response to Pmlgoten

You shouldn't need to do any periodic permissions repair, especially since it won't repair anything installed by other than an Apple installer (items installed by drag and drop from a disk image will not be repaired, for example) or anything in a user account. Onyx shouldn't be running on startup, so check your login items and the various /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders for something that might be related. You might also look for log entries related to Onyx in the Console application.

Jun 5, 2012 5:55 PM in response to red_menace

i know Onyx shouldnt be starting up, and normally doesnt. didnt until it restarted my computer after i ran automation.

i have no folder /library/launchdaemons, and in launchagents nothing really matches.

there are 4 things in console about onyx

6/5/12 7:31:41.459 PM OnyX: Persistent UI failed to open file file://localhost/Users/Kingtut/Library/Saved%20Application%20State/com.titanium .OnyX.savedState/window_15.data: Permission denied (13)

6/5/12 7:32:51.798 PM Dock: Failed to write crash history to file://localhost/Users/Kingtut/Library/Application%20Support/CrashReporter/OnyX _05A13BD9-B397-5BF6-B3D2-5609D7E25938.plist.

6/5/12 7:32:51.803 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x4004].com.titanium.OnyX[126]) Exited: Terminated: 15

6/5/12 7:36:11.640 PM helpd: open on /Users/Kingtut/Library/Caches/com.apple.helpd/Generated/com.titanium.OnyX.help/ English.helpindex: No such file or directory

thats all that came up for Onyx in console.

just thought i would put the logs pertaining to onyx right there above, as i am no expert in console.

i know you dont need to do periodic permissions repair, but i havent done it in a really long time, and thought i would. i normally never do permissions repairs.

Edit: thought i would add whats comming up when i take a screen shot.

"Your Screen shot Can't be Saved

You dont have Permission to save files in the location where screen shots are stored"

Jun 5, 2012 11:48 PM in response to Pmlgoten

It looks like there may be some permission issues, but as I posted before, the permissions repair in Disk Utility doesn't do anything in a user account. Take a look at the permissions for the folders mentioned in the Console logs (they are all in your user Library folder) - from the Terminal application, paste in the following (there is a trailing space), drag the folder(s) to the Terminal window (the path will be pasted), then press return. The following command lists your user name (so it can be matched with the permissions), the permissions for the file item(s), and any Access Control Lists or extended attributes:

/usr/bin/whoami; /bin/ls -leO@d

The Saved Application State folder permissions seem to have been changed - if you have done something like lock the folder so that applications don't reopen to where they were before, that would explain that particular Console message. You might also check to see where your screenshots are being saved (not sure about Onyx, but the location can be set from a utility such as TinkerTool), and check the permissions there.

Jul 3, 2013 5:10 PM in response to Pmlgoten

@Pmlgoten.

Did you ever get a response that helped? How did you repair this dreadful problem? Mine started with the annoying Flash Player updateer/Firefox problem, then I too tried Diskm Utility, Disl Warrier, Clam Xav (which is giving me permissions errors like crazy) and Ony,. And, now I'm having the same problem.

I tried the Fash Player Installation forums first, then the Mozilla Firefox Forums, the Clam Xav support community, Mozilla Firefox forums, Onyx help documents and now Apple. I've seen similar pleas for healp throughout the web, so I think this is something that's beyond a minor bug-- There is no fix, apparently and my iMac is almost completely inaccessible.

Error messages keep telling me that other versions of most of my software are already running (they aren't) and that I don't have permission to do virtually anything. Also, it tells me I'm out of disk space when attempting to download things (like fresh installers), but I have over a TB of space.

Do Apple staff EVER read these forums? When are they going to consider this a sreious issue? And, has anyone found a fix, yet? Pmlgoten ?

Jul 3, 2013 7:30 PM in response to nodleigh

nodleigh wrote:

@Pmlgoten.

Clam Xav (which is giving me permissions errors like crazy)

Please visit the ClamXav Forum for fastest, most efficient solutions to problems such as this. Be sure and tell them what version you are using (web site or AppStore) as well as posting all the errors you observe from the Update, Scan and systems.log.

For help with your root problem here please download and run EtreCheck so we can all get a look at what you have going on.

Do Apple staff EVER read these forums? When are they going to consider this a sreious issue? And, has anyone found a fix, yet?

Probably, but in general they aren't allowed to post anything and it's not a reliable way to get word to them. For that you need to visit your local Genius Bar or use http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Having Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.