Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connection to internet ok but cannot view webpages in browser

I have a MacBook that has always been able to connect to the internet and view webpages aok until this afternoon. Although it is connected to the Internet ok, it will not let me view any webpages in either Safari or Firefox. The page justs spins and spins and never loads. I've tried a few different websites and have also tried via both our wireless connection and hardline connection to no success.

I am able to connect to the internet and view webapges ok on a different computer on the same network so I believe this problem is limited to my MacBook.

I've done some research and understand that maybe something called '

mDNSResponder' could be the problem? Something about problems resolving the hosts via DNS?  I've seen some suggestions on how to fix this but I am wary of just doing a bunch of stuff that someone posted online - especially when it involves commands with the word 'kill' in it. And I'm not understanding where I am supposed to type those commands anyway - in Terminal? 

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 8:38 PM

5 replies

Jun 5, 2012 8:46 PM in response to ruth111

Hello Ruth,

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

Is that Interface dragged to the top of Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations and checked ON?

The Interface that connects to the Internet, needs to be drug to the top of System Preferences>Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations and checked ON.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Then... Try putting these numbers in Network>TCP/IP>DNS Servers, for the Interface you connect with...

Then Apply. For 10.5/10.6/10.7 Network, highlight Interface>Advanced button>DNS tab>little + icon.

DNS Servers are a bit like Phone books where you look up a name and it gives you the phone number, in our case, you put in apple.com and it comes back with 17.149.160.49 behind the scenes. 🙂

These Servers have been patched to guard against DNS poisoning, and are faster/more reliable than most ISP's DNS Servers.

Jun 5, 2012 10:56 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately it did not work. I also made sure to restart the laptop after making the changes above but no luck.

One new discovery though - we can access some websites - but not others. On the No list is Netflix, Facebook, Yahoo, AOL. I also cannot access these sites on my desktop iMac either, or they take forever to load.

We have a modem that goes into our wireless router. I've tried plugging directly into the modem and skipping the router and the problem still persists so I am thinking it is not a router issue.

I've also tried rebooting both the modem and router but that did not help.

The last idea I have - and it is a longshot - is to press the reset button on the bottom of the router and see if that does anything.

Or any other ideas? Maybe the

mDNSResponder I mentioned earlier?

Thanks again.

Jun 5, 2012 11:50 PM in response to ruth111

Whew, I don't think thi wou;ould applyto a Macbook, but for your our edification & possible hints...

The last really supported Flash for PPC was 10.1.102.64, but if it's for like Facebook or such, people have been fooling FB to think they have a later version installed.

Texas Mac Man's Flash hack/post...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3599648?tstart=0

Flash player 11.1 hack on PowerPC -

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3558589?answerId=16990862022#16990862022

See in each Browser which version of Flash it thinks it has...

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html

connection to internet ok but cannot view webpages in browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.