Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Easiest way to add Chapter markers in FCP for iDVD

Hey there,

quite simply, I want chapter markers on my iDVD. I have two video projects from final cut pro X that I want in the DVD main menu and I want one of the videos to have scene selections as well.

I know compressor has the ability to add scene selections for the burning of 1 movie straight from compressor but where I'm dealing with 2 movies on one DVD, I can't see a way compressor will work unless theres someway to add chapter markers in Compressor and export it to iDVD somehow.

Anyways, do any of you have any ideas? even if I have to use a 3rd program to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Caleb

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 10:08 PM

14 replies

Jun 6, 2012 8:13 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Where are chapter markers created in Compressor? The Help Manual for Compressor says they are created in "Final Cut Pro" (sc. FCP 7, I suppose) and are "passed through" by Compressor. We know that FCPX doesn't have a chapter marker facility, and there are no other references in Compressor to Chapter Markers that I can find. Thanks for any guidance.

Jun 6, 2012 12:09 PM in response to rhjph

If the manual says that, it's probably one of the v.3 manuals (I could check later).

Here's what the v.4 manual says about chapter markers.

To add a chapter marker to your clip

1. Open the Preview window.
  2. Choose the Show Chapter/Podcast Markers item from the Marker pop-up menu, so that there is a checkmark by it.
  3. Choose a clip from the Batch Item pop-up menu or click the Batch Item selection button until the clip you want appears in the pop-up menu.
  4. Do one of the following to determine where the marker is to be placed:
    • Drag the playhead where you want to add a marker.
    • Enter a timecode value in the playhead timecode field.
  5. Do one of the following to add a marker:
    • Click the Marker button and choose “Add marker” from the pop-up menu.
    • Press M.
    A purple chapter marker appears in the timeline.
    User uploaded file

6. Choose Edit from the Marker pop-up menu (or press Command-E).A dialog for editing the marker appears.
  7. Enter a name for the chapter marker in the Name field.

User uploaded file

For chapter markers, this name appears in the output media file where it can be seen with QuickTime Player and in playback devices.
  8. If you want to assign an image to the chapter marker, choose one of the following from the Image pop-up menu:
    • None: No image is associated with the marker.
    • Frame in source: By default, the frame displayed is the frame on which the marker is placed. To use a different frame as the image, enter a different timecode value.
    • From File: Drag an image to the image well. You can also click Choose to open a file-selection dialog and select a still-image file to assign to the marker.
  9. Click OK to close the dialog.

You can convert a chapter marker to a compression or podcast marker by choosing Edit from the Marker pop-up menu.

But if the 3rd party app is working well for you, that's great.

Russ

Jun 6, 2012 7:25 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks Russ,

I did know how to add chapter markers in compressor but I'm lost as to what I export the video to so I can preserve these chapter markers for use in iDVD. This seems like a stupid question I know. It probably works well with any quicktime format but in case it doesn't, do you have a recommended format to export so I can just drag the video in iDVD and have the chapter markers "Just Work"?

Thanks a ton! Sorry I didn't respond till now but I love these discussions (I'd be lost without them) and I love your help!

Stay Golden!

Caleb

Jun 7, 2012 3:49 AM in response to Russ H

Very helpful Russ. Thank you. It looks as if there are still bits of the v.3 manual hiding in the v.4 one. I didn't find the help section you set out, the first time I searched. Are there any quality differences, do you believe, between creating a DVD from a Pro Res file using Chapterit and iDVD on the one hand, and Compressor on the other?

Jun 7, 2012 7:15 PM in response to Caleb Kingston

Hey Caleb.

In my view, iDVD does a pretty nice job of handling whatever we throw at it. Over the years I've had some really high quality output with HD (many flavors) and SD input. It certainly does make a difference with whatever quality encode selection was chosen.

Compressor may (or may not) produce a higher quality disk. There are more controls and opportunities to improve things…and more opportunities to mess up. To my way of thinking the biggest benefit to using Compressor for making DVD's is frame controls, which especially can helpp in re-scaling frrom HD to SD. Also the ability to insert compression markers in problematic scenes.

My 2 cents: do some testing on your material. See how well differents settings treat your footage.

Good luck.

Russ

Jul 30, 2012 4:46 PM in response to Caleb Kingston

If you don't want to buy Compressor and deal with learning it you can also use AVT ChapterIt http://www.avt.scirius.com/ChapterIt.htm or SImpleMovieX http://simplemoviex.com/SimpleMovieX/index.var

I wanted to import my FinalCut X movies into iDVD with chapters and was looking for a simple solution. I ended up buying and using ChapterIt. It has some rough edges, but got the job done is a short time. I added chapters to two movies, one was 23 min 2 GB, the other 96 min 13 GB, with a total of about 20 chapters. It handled both but not before damaging one movie (it would not open Quicktime) but luckily I was working on a copy and could restart the process. I will be contacting the author so hopefully he will address the issues I came across.

Easiest way to add Chapter markers in FCP for iDVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.