Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Disk Mode & Access TDM computers USB

Hi there, I have some questions regarding on Target Disk Mode (TDM). Here's a brief explanation:

I have a Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 and a Mac Pro 2006. Since im not using the good reliable G5 anymore, im planning to use it as a external FW HDD enclosure and extra USBs (If thats possible) and link it to my Mac Pro.

Heres what i understand about Target Disk Mode (TDM) (with FW800 connected to both the MP and the G5)

1. When the G5 is booted into TDM, 2 SATA internal HDD of the G5 will mount on the Mac Pro.

2. Even there is no operating system on the HDD (2 empty 2TB drives), the G5 will still boot into TDM and mount 2 empty 2TB drives.

With that feature, i can use the G5 as a very fast FW800 external SATA enclosure.

So heres the question:

1. The PowerMac only has 2 SATA ports, thats fine, i have a IDE HDD, can i remove the IDE DVD drive from the G5, replace it with a IDE HDD and get it to work with TDM? If no, can i use the DVD drive while in TDM? Means, If i put a DVD into the PowerMac, will the DVD mount on my Mac Pro?

2. The PowerMac has 3 USBs, can I use them while its in TDM? Means, If i plug a pen drive into the G5 while in TDM, will it mount on the Mac Pro?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2006 upgraded with 8 cores :)

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 1:43 AM

5 replies

Oct 3, 2012 11:48 AM in response to HackerWayne

HackerWyne:

For what it's worth, I've gotten what you've desicrbed to work with an Intel based tower but not with a G5 tower.

With two different Intel towers, every drive connected to the tower appeared via TDM (I'm not sure if external USB drives mounted, but external FireWire drives did as well as discs in the DVD/CD drive); however, with three different G5s (all earlier models like your dual 2.0) only the master SATA drive mounted via TDM.

-Warren

Target Disk Mode & Access TDM computers USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.