Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2008 Mac Pro: Some SATA 3.0 and mini-SAS questions

Hi everyone

I'd like to upgrade my 2008 Mac Pro with new HDDs. I was intrigued by OWC's blog post that the 2008 Mac Pro can be upgraded to SATA 3.0 using the Newer Technology MAXPower RAID mini-SAS 6G-1e1i controller card. So I was thinking of getting one of those and install 4x3TB HDDs. I also want to have an external enclosure for backups of the internal drives.

The card has an external mini-SAS port. Can someone recommend an external HDD enclosure with mini-SAS connection?

Also, is such a connection reliable, for instance, does it wake up and sleep with the computer? Ideally I would want to maintain the fast connection rather than use another type of port.

The HDDs I'm considering are the Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001. They are big and comparably inexpensive. However I've read very mixed reviews about them. Reliability seems a bit low. I would be interested to hear people's experiences with this drive.

Cheers and many thanks in advance

Philip

Mac Pro 2008 , 2.8GHz , 2xSSD 4xHD -OTHER, ACD 23" , Lion 10.7

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 3:33 AM

9 replies

Feb 9, 2016 8:14 AM in response to ElectriMF

RAID is a good speedup for Rotating drives that are reading very large amounts of data from the exact same file. Random Reads are not improved by RAID. ANY intervening reads to any other file kill the RAID's performance and can drop performance back to SLOWER than regular drives.

Your earlier suggestion of installing an SSD will give you a far larger performance boost than a RAID for all but very specialized data.

To get the promised performance from a RAID you need to have Source files on one RAID, Destination files on a different RAID, scratch/work files on completely different drives, and a separate Boot/System/Applications drive. Otherwise stray reads will move the Read heads away and derail the desired RAID performance.

Feb 9, 2016 9:18 AM in response to ElectriMF

Today's Rotating magnetic drives can source a single burst of data off the platters at about 125 to 150Mytes/sec, not sustainable.

SATA-II at 3Gbits/sec or 375MBytes/sec is not a bottleneck for those drives. SATA-III at 6GBytes/sec or 750MBytes/sec is also not a bottleneck. For rotating drives, SATA-II vs SATA-III is total specsmanship, not real-world performance. Do not pay extra for SATA-III for rotating drives under any circumstances.

--------

The reason you are seeing a move away from SATA into stuff like ThunderBolt has much more to do with SSD speeds, where certain Samsung SSDs at this writing can briefly reach speeds above 1000MBytes/sec.

Feb 12, 2016 10:24 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

SO I have read about other sata 3 pci solution, that's bootable.

Re: Mac Pro 3.1 upgrade 2016

Which ssds work well with OS X 10.7 In my 3.1 mac pro? I have read much about difficulties concerning trim especially on owc ssds And ssds not being very good for older macs and so forth, but I couldn't figure out which actually works fine. The samsung you mentioned was ratEd quite good, as far as I remember.

Early 2008 Mac Pro: Some SATA 3.0 and mini-SAS questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.