Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why my menu bar shows Superdrive eject button?

For some reason iMac shows Superdrive eject button on menu bar and when I click on it then Superdrive isn't active. I have no CDs/DVDs in the computer.

Tried on Disk Utility, clicked on SuperDrive but eject button wasn' t active.

Why is it there and what does it do there?

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 5:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 5:07 AM

Open Finder on your iMac and look under Devices. Do you have an entry that says Remote Disc? If so, then I assume you have another Mac that you have setup to share its Superdrive. If not, then I'm not sure.

To remove the Eject icon from the Menu Bar, press and hold the COMMAND key and click/drag the icon off the Menu bar. Release the COMMAND key and mouse click.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2012 5:07 AM in response to CrazyHappy

Open Finder on your iMac and look under Devices. Do you have an entry that says Remote Disc? If so, then I assume you have another Mac that you have setup to share its Superdrive. If not, then I'm not sure.

To remove the Eject icon from the Menu Bar, press and hold the COMMAND key and click/drag the icon off the Menu bar. Release the COMMAND key and mouse click.

Feb 11, 2015 12:51 AM in response to CrazyHappy

If the machine detects that it does not have an apple keyboard (and not the magic key to the right of the f12 that isn't f13, and for users who didn't know that f12 can act as a keyboard eject in the absence of magic f12.5) it will launch that menu item. Once its launched, you have to remove it as described by others here. It will also show up if you have TWO optical drives attached, so you can control which one to eject.

Why my menu bar shows Superdrive eject button?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.