Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pixelated blue Apple logo, stuck on start up

Hello.

I'm having an issue where my (late 2008) MacBook Pro is no longer booting up past the grey start up screen.

Oddly enough, the usual Apple logo has small blue pixels in it.

I've made searches within the forums, I've not found a solution so far.

I'm unaware if the start up chime has changed, as the computer was muted before the issue arised.

I've tried holding down the 'shift' key when booting up, other than that I'm not an expert on these issues as it's been a well-behaved machine over the years.

There has been no unusual activity with the machine in recent weeks, the keyboard/trackpad overheats and stopos working here and there. That is all.

My specs (that I can remember) are as follows...

Late 2008 MacBook Pro

4GB of RAM

Many thanks,

Lou.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 3:52 AM

3 replies

Jun 13, 2012 4:44 AM in response to Macintosh Lou

Took it to the Appe Store.

They booted it up using a start up disk, repaired the hard drive via Disc Utility.

It booted up by itself straight away.

Took it home, tred to boot up the following day, the issue returned.

Attempted to boot up using the install disc, it performed a kernel panic. Re-tried, same outcome.

Attempted a safe boot, no success.

Resetted PRAM. Success! It booted up as normal, attached an external hard drive in order to quickly back up my documents...

Black and blue pixels over my desktop and white flashing.

Had to force shutdown and make a cup of tea.

Another Apple Store appointment has been arranged. I'm documenting this here in case anyone else stumbles upon the same issue. I miss my computer.

Lou.

Pixelated blue Apple logo, stuck on start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.