Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert to MP3 (sound quality)?

I have two questions about converting Itunes files to MP3s, but I will include the Itunes instruction here, so you'll know what I'm referencing. I have an Imac with OS 10.7.4 and here are the instructions (italicized):

You can convert a song to a different file format (and keep a copy of the original). For example, you can save a copy of a compressed song file such as MP3 or AAC in an uncompressed song format (AIFF or WAV).

When converting from a compressed to uncompressed file format (for example, from MP3 to AIFF), you shouldn’t notice any reduction in sound quality. However, when converting between compressed formats (for example, MP3 and AAC), you may notice a reduction in the sound quality. For the best results, if you want your music encoded in a different file format, import the music again from the original source using the new encoding format.

Important: You can’t convert iTunes Store purchases unless they’re iTunes Plus songs.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:

1. What type of file type is an Itunes music file? Is it compressed?

2. Will I lose sound quality if I convert an Itunes music file to MP3 in order to move it over to a Garmin GPS (which supports only MP3s) and therefore would it be best to follow their instructions to reimport my music using an MP3 encode?

Thank you in advance!

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 10:49 AM

If it is something you bought from the iTunes Store it is 256k AAC compressed. If it is something you imported from another source such as a CD then the format will depend upon what settings you used. Get information on a track in iTunes and see what "kind" the file is.

2. Will I lose sound quality if I convert an Itunes music file to MP3 in order to move it over to a Garmin GPS (which supports only MP3s) and therefore would it be best to follow their instructions to reimport my music using an MP3 encode?

Technically, yes, you will lose sound quality in any conversion to compressed with each conversion you do (a photocopy of a photocopy...). Whether or not you notice the quality difference is really an individual thing. Technically if you have an audio CD you imported into AAC and now want it as mp3 then you will get better quality by re-importing from the CD as mp3. I have in a few cases exported from other formats to mp3 and not noticed a quality difference, but then I don't have $200 speakers attached to my computer, nor the ears to appreciate them.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2012 10:49 AM in response to Bassplayuh

If it is something you bought from the iTunes Store it is 256k AAC compressed. If it is something you imported from another source such as a CD then the format will depend upon what settings you used. Get information on a track in iTunes and see what "kind" the file is.

Technically, yes, you will lose sound quality in any conversion to compressed with each conversion you do (a photocopy of a photocopy...). Whether or not you notice the quality difference is really an individual thing. Technically if you have an audio CD you imported into AAC and now want it as mp3 then you will get better quality by re-importing from the CD as mp3. I have in a few cases exported from other formats to mp3 and not noticed a quality difference, but then I don't have $200 speakers attached to my computer, nor the ears to appreciate them.

Convert to MP3 (sound quality)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.