Over the last few weeks my HDD has been failing verification (4 times in the last fortnight ). I have used both Disk Utility and DiskWarrior to repair the drive and each time the outcome has been successful, only to have Verify Disk report errors a few days later.
I therefore decided to get a new drive. I've gone for a Crucial M-4 256GB SSD. However, as I do a lot of database work (MySQL mainly), I don't want to hammer the SSD with lots of writes. So I have also bought a WD 500GB hard disk (5,400rpm) together with a caddy for installing it into the DVD space. The caddy comes with an external enclosure so that i can slot my DVD drive into there instead and continue to use it via USB.
System details: MacBook Pro 6,2 mid-2010, i5 2.53 Ghz, 4GB DDR3, both internal and additional gfx card, matt hi-res screen, OS X 10.6.8, Time Machine on Iomega external firewire drive
In my mind, I will be allocating the following to each drive:
SSD - primary drive:
OS X 10.6.8
All my Apps and Utilities, documents etc
HDD - secondary drive:
MySQL data files
OS X swap file
Windows 7 partition
1. Does this sound like a valid setup - ie is it doable?
2. Will the SDD automatically be picked up as the primary drive when OS X boots?
3. How best to install OS X? Should I do a system restore from Time Machine or take this opportunity to reinstall from scratch? Time spent on this is not a major issue as I have a backup latop to work on in the meantime
3. Can I actually install Win7 on a secondary drive with Bootcamp or would it need to be on the primary SSD?
4. If I can install Win7 onto the HDD, will that Win7 partition be bootable from Parallels 7? I've heard some people have difficulty with this using VMWare
5. Is it worth having the swap file on the secondary drive or should I leave it on the SSD?
6. If I upgrade to Lion/Mountain Lion, will the full disk encryption work with an SSD?
7. I know that I need to go into the DVD app to edit the path to the DVD drive form 'internal' to 'external'. However, does anytone know if games that require the drive to be inserted also work with external drives? Not a big deal if not as I only have 1 of these left.
Any additional advice most welcome