Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How will a magnet damage my 4s?

Greetings!

I have recently purchased an iPhone 4s and a lifeproof case. I'm trying to attempt a mounting idea for in my truck. I've decided to glue a piece of metal onto the back of my phone, and attach a speaker magnet behind my dash. It holds rather well, but I've read much about people saying the magnet can damage the screen. If it's behind my dash, opposite of the front, does it still do any damage?

Also, I tried putting the metal inside of the case, but it buldged too much. Haha.. good thought, but it didn't work as I had hoped.

Any responses and help is greatly appreciated!!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 11:49 AM

A magnet cannot damage your iPhone - the screen works by capacitance. The only thing it could perhaps affect is the compass, though I'm not certain it would. Gluing anything directly to your iPhone, though, will probably void the warranty. I presume you intend to attach the magnet to the case, not the iPhone, yes?

Why not just buy one the plethora of car/truck mounts, though? There are many available, including some that can hold an iPhone in a case, and they're not terribly expensive. Many allow you to adjust the placement and the angle of the iPhone for easy access. A much better solution than a magnet, IMO.

Regards.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2012 11:49 AM in response to Grilled_Cheese_Fanatic

A magnet cannot damage your iPhone - the screen works by capacitance. The only thing it could perhaps affect is the compass, though I'm not certain it would. Gluing anything directly to your iPhone, though, will probably void the warranty. I presume you intend to attach the magnet to the case, not the iPhone, yes?

Why not just buy one the plethora of car/truck mounts, though? There are many available, including some that can hold an iPhone in a case, and they're not terribly expensive. Many allow you to adjust the placement and the angle of the iPhone for easy access. A much better solution than a magnet, IMO.

Regards.

Jun 6, 2012 11:57 AM in response to Grilled_Cheese_Fanatic

I don't think magnets affect modern screens. Yes, they did affect old CRT screens.

I would be concerned about a strong magnet in close proximity affecting the compass. It would almost certainly affect its immediate operation and might even affect it permananely (I have permanently messed up a standard compass by holding it too close to a strong magnet).

Jun 6, 2012 12:08 PM in response to varjak paw

I work in construction. My phone spends most of it's time either in the clip, or in my pocket in the evening. I just need something quick and temporary. The magnet seemed to be the best solution. I had a clingo mount and it was great, just not as convenient as I needed.

My main concern was damage to my screen.. so that answered my question, thanks!

Jun 6, 2012 12:19 PM in response to varjak paw

As varjak paw says.

Location Services tells you where you are by radio signal GPS from satellites. The devce also contains a standard magnetic compass which provides screen orientation. So if you were using this in your car it would provide your correct location on a map but might tell you you were heading west instead of north.

Moving more into the theoretical aspects here, it is possible that a strong magnet may have unexpected effects. Frankly moving an electrical conductor (such as all the wires in your device) in the presence of a magnetic field generates an electric current (and your phone is full of things sensitive to electic currents). While I am sure they design those things to work under normal conditions, I don't know if they expect you to slap a strong magnet right up against the thing and drive around with it jiggling there. I have an idea! You let us know. 😉

How will a magnet damage my 4s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.