Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My linksys router died...

I have an older Powerbook running OS 10.4.11.

My linksys router died and I want to replace it with an Apple base station.

1) Which model will work with the older OS and

2) will it still work if I upgrade the software?

Thanks

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 4:56 PM

23 replies

Jun 6, 2012 5:52 PM in response to susanfromwinston

Your Tiger Powerbook can run AirPort Utility 5.4.2 which can administer a brand new AirPort Express just fine. However, there is no Tiger-compatible version of AirPort Utility that can administer a current production AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule.

So your Apple alternatives are a new Express, or a used 802.11b/g Extreme. The latter are cheap and abundant on eBay.

Jun 7, 2012 5:29 AM in response to susanfromwinston

One thing to be certain of with any router is to be sure its encryption protocol can be set to WPA2/AES. I'm not sure the older ones can be set to that. They may use WEP, which can be cracked in under a minute or WPA, which has also been broken. You also want to set a very long, all over the keyboard router password. Just keep it safe somewhere and don't lose it. Mine is 40+ characters and no one's going to guess it.

You are basically broacasting all your data, i.e. passwords, sensitive or personal information, and you want to be sure it can't be read.

And, whatever router you settle on, do not set up the router security with any automatic feature. You want to avoid those and do it all manually. These have been easily cracked.

And the stock Linksys firmware for the WRT54GL, though not bad, can easily be replaced with a superior one, "Tomato." If you're not up to doing that, there's no problem keeping the original Linksys firmware.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

http://lifehacker.com/344765/turn-your-60-router-into-a-user+friendly-super+rout er-with-tomato

Jun 7, 2012 6:26 AM in response to John Galt

Hi John,

Some questions...

Re: Airport Express: I'm not too familiar with this small device. Is it just the same as any wireless router, ie. you hard wire your modem to it and, with proper Airport Extreme card installed, your laptop will work?

I was under the impression that this is just a booster for an existing wireless system, but I'm obviously very wrong.

Right now, my configuration is Modem>Linksys>Netgear>computers and printers. I use the netgear (with its 8 ports) to hard wire my desktop computers and equipment. I have the laptop only wireless.

Re: Airport Extreme card: Do you know the version of the latest update for that?

I'm still leaning toward the older Airport Extreme... don't want to waste time and money (I guess that's true for everyone!=)

Thanks,

Susan

Jun 7, 2012 6:42 AM in response to susanfromwinston

The AirPort Express is a full featured router, with one major limitation: one Ethernet port. If you were to replace your current Linksys router with that, its one port will be occupied by the connection to your modem, leaving nothing for any hardwired devices.

However, if you were to keep your current router or buy a new one, you can also use the Express as a wireless access point. In that configuration you would connect it to the Netgear - I'm assuming the Netgear is a switch with an available port to use. You can configure it to create the same exact network as the Linksys, which will result in a "roaming network". It has significant advantages over a network with just one wireless access point.

The original AirPort Extreme can do the same thing, if you want to buy one for cheap. Search for it as Old Comm Guy suggests. The advantage of a new Express is that it can use either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz as well connect external speakers for streaming AirTunes if that matters to youl.

Jun 7, 2012 6:51 AM in response to susanfromwinston

susanfromwinston wrote:

By "original AirPort Extreme supports WPA/WPA2", do you mean the one that looks like a Hershey's kiss (referenced by "Old Comm Guy" in this thread [airport extreme A1034])?

Yes. A vanilla Hershey's Kiss. Just make sure it comes with the power supply.

Don't spend a lot. You can find one for $10 if you're persistent. Better to find one being sold by its original owner than some junk reseller who won't know if it works.

If you ran Software Update any time within the past ten years or so, you probably updated the drivers for your AirPort Extreme card so that it can use WPA a long time ago.

My linksys router died...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.