Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my NAT settings from strict so I can use Xbox live?

I have an Airport Extreme Base Station with the latest firmware updates that I set up using my MacBook, which has been updated to the latest version of Lion and the latest update to Airport Utility. For some reason when I connect to my router via wifi with my Xbox 360, xbox live says that my router has strict NAT settings which need to be addressed. Because of this, any chatting on Live is broken, and gameplay lag is less than satisfactory. if anyone can help me fix this, let me know. I've already enabled NAT Port Mapping and that didn't seem to help.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 4:39 PM

8 replies

Jun 6, 2012 9:03 PM in response to kennynawotniak

Unfortunately, the AirPorts are not listed as Xbox Live-compatible routers ... so there is no guarantee doing this will get Open NAT status for Xbox Live!

The following web blog does a great job explaining the NAT issues with Xbox Live! Basically what it comes down to is that although you can get an Internet connection for the Xbox with the AirPorts, you may not get the necessary NAT setting (Moderate or Open) for the Xbox Live! on-line game that you want to play. As such, you basically have two options: 1) Create a DMZ (Apple calls this a Default Host) for the XBox or 2) Configure the AirPort for Port mapping to open the required ports to allow Xbox Live! access ... or 3) Use a compatible router.

Option 1 - Create a DMZ

• AirPort Utility > Select the AEBSn > Manual Setup > Internet > NAT
  • Enable default host at: <Enter the IP Address for the XBox>

Option 2 - Configure Port Mapping

The following ports must be available for Xbox Live to operate correctly:

• UDP 88
  • UDP 3074
  • TCP 3074

To setup port mapping on an 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn), either connect to the AEBSn's wireless network or temporarily connect directly, using an Ethernet cable, to one of the LAN port of the AEBSn, and then use the AirPort Utility, in Manual Setup, to make these settings:

1. Reserve a DHCP-provided IP address for the Xbox 360.

• AirPort Utility > Select the AEBSn > Manual Setup > Internet > DHCP tab
  • Click the "+" (Add) button to enter DHCP Reservations.
  • Description: <enter the desired description of the host device>
  • Reserve address by: MAC Address
  • Click Continue.
  • MAC Address: <Enter the MAC hardware address of the Xbox or the MAC address of the wireless depending on how you connect the XBox to the network.>
  • IPv4 Address: <enter the desired Private IP address>
  • Click Done.

2. Setup Port Mapping on the AEBSn.

AirPort Utility > Select the AEBSn > Manual Setup > Internet > NAT > Configure Port Mappings

• Click the "+" (Add) button
  • Service: <choose the appropriate service from the Service pop-up menu>
  • Public UDP Port(s): 88, 3074
  • Public TCP Port(s): 3074
  • Private IP Address: <enter the DHCP Reserved IP address for the Xbox you created earlier>
  • Private UDP Port(s): 88, 3074
  • Private TCP Port(s): 3074
  • Click "Continue"

Mar 27, 2013 6:04 AM in response to Tesserax

Hy,

I have an airport extreme base A1034 from 2003 and I'm trying to set it and the Airport Utility manager sais that it doesn't support this airport.My qustion is: Is this airport to old and there are no more drivers for it or apple doesn't supports this model anymore.I have the latest version of Airport Utility and OS.

Please help me, I realy need it.Thank you veru much!

How do I get my NAT settings from strict so I can use Xbox live?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.