Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I click restore, I have a pop up that asks me what folder on my desktop or on my computer I want to choose. What do I do?

All it does is open this file thing that is titled "Open" and then asks me what I want to click on a choose. I locked myself out of my ipod touch my forgetting my passcode. What do I do?

iPod touch (2nd generation), help!!!

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 7:30 PM

4 replies

Jun 7, 2012 3:47 AM in response to gabby14

Very odd... This is an iPod touch that you have? That Open dialog coming up as you describe sounds like what happens if you are holding down the Option key (on the Mac's keyboard) while clicking on the Restore button. This "Option Restore" is there in case you don't want to use the latest available version of software (for the iPod) to do the Restore. The Open dialog comes up to ask you to find and choose the installation package for an earlier version of software, that you want to use instead.

But if you just click the Restore button normally (no Option key), it should just use the latest available version of software (without asking). So I don't now why that Open dialog box comes up in your case.

NOTE: If your computer is a Windows PC (not a Mac), it is the Shift key (not the Option key).

You can try this crazy idea, in case your keyboard is sending an Option (or Shift for PC) key press when it should not. When you get to that point, just BEFORE clicking the Restore button, disconnect your keyboard from USB. If your mouse is connected to the keyboard, disconnect it from the keyboard and plug it into the computer directly. Then click the Restore button.

When I click restore, I have a pop up that asks me what folder on my desktop or on my computer I want to choose. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.