Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhoto, using 9.2.3 won't load and just spins.

As I click on the iPhoto icon, the screen shows iPhoto is open but the spinning wheel just spins endlessly and never actually loads our pictures in the library.

What can I do? I am running iPhoto 9.2.3 on the iMac. Operating system is OS X 10.6.8

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), None, everything else seems to work

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 9:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 10:56 PM

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2012 10:56 PM in response to Garvp175

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

Jun 7, 2012 10:46 AM in response to el-ahdab

Make a temporary, backup copy (if you don't already have a backup copy) of the library and try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

3 - launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

OT

Jun 10, 2012 1:16 AM in response to Garvp175

Hello,

I still need advises. Hope some one has some good idears.

When I apply solution one:

Iphoto proposes me to select a library, as I used iphoto library to create a library.

Then after selecting the only one with pictures, it once again ask me to up-date library as I just up-graded I photo. We are back in original situation - end less up-dating.

Using I-photo library manager, option2:

I tried to rebuilt with this soft, but it failed.

An error occurred trying to open the database at /Users/el/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Database/apdb/Faces.db (14)

My wife noticed that i-photo had created a Huge quantity of faces when up-grading. We nevers requested theses faces.

Then:

I tried to create a copy but it failed.

I have tried to copy / paste library on my time machine (1 Terrabit - >500Gb availables, but it also fails).

Lap top hard drive still has 75GB available.

It announces me more than 19 days to perform 1st operations, so I stopped the operation.

I have tried to copy / paste library on my time machine (1 Terrabit - >500Gb availables, but it also fails).

When I try to copy pictures .jpg directly, it fails (BIP).

About the optopm proposed by Olad Toad,

I am worried to be honest.

I fear to remove theses files as I could not create a back-up before.

Do you have new idears?

Aug 11, 2012 11:15 PM in response to Yer_Man

I am having the same issues as the original poster. I have tried both actions that you had previously recommended to no avail. When I try importing photos with Image Capture, that does not work. I have also tried the suggestion posted by "Old Toad", but that does not work either.

Any additional support would be most helpful and definitely appreciated. Thanks.

Aug 12, 2012 10:15 AM in response to sharpsparks

Try this: launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and check to see if the same problem persists. If you can then the following may be your only solution:

Start over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Open the library package like this.

User uploaded file

2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

3. Drag the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

HOWEVER: You might try creating a new library and use the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager to copy the Events and Albums from your current library to the new one. This would preserve your metadata, i.e. keywords, titles, comments, etc. as well as Places. It's essentially the same as starting over but this keeps your metadata.

Jan 8, 2013 4:15 PM in response to Garvp175

I tried three of the cmd-option choices (repair database, repair using automatic backup, and fix permissions), and none worked. I tried fixing permissions with the Disk Utility and that didn't help (I also verified my disk and it was fine). I logged in as a different user and could open an empty iPhoto library ok (I switched back to my original account after trying this).

Then I downloaded the iPhoto Library Manager (the free version), and it was able to open my library, but an attempt to rebuild it (so that iPhoto could open it) failed because it needs to open iPhoto to do the rebuild, which still hangs even when opened by iPhoto Library Manager.

I then tried opening iPhoto using another library I have, different from the default (selected by holding the option key when opening). This library did open ok. I then quit iPhoto and launched it again, selecting this time the original (default) library. That opened fine! It seems to be working ok now.

Even though it didn't help in this case, the iPhoto Library Manager looks like a useful application, and I might go ahead and purchase it.

My iPhoto, using 9.2.3 won't load and just spins.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.