Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPOD 120gb not recognizing music and turning it to the "other" data catagory

I have a 120gb ipod and recently tried to use it only to find all my movie and music moved over to the "other" catagory and not recognized as music or movies. i restored the ipod, to no avail. i reinstalled itunes to no avail. itunes will freeze or lag mid-sync and then when it completes it will show as it is ok. then when i eject it, the music and movies are in the "other" data section again and wont play. I even deleted half of my music to try and make it work. Disk usage is not enabled, tried playing with that too. i dont have this supposed red x that is related to an issue like this. help please.

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 11:19 PM

1 reply

Jun 13, 2012 9:14 PM in response to dragonkid203

Whenever you have a Sync timeout, the iPod filesystem get corrupted and you find all your music in Others.

Timeout can be due to

1. Bad or dying Hardisk - Do the Disk Diagnostic as explained in this excellent post by tt2.
  2. Bad USB connection - low transfer rate due to using USB 1.0 port at the front of the PC instead of the USB2.0 port at the back of the PC.
  3. Too many USB devices connected - Disconnect all other USB devices and dont use USB Hub
  4. Monitoring Software - Stop the Antivirus, disconbect the Internet, run only iTunes while you are syncing.

If you follow the above suggestion, connect to iTunes, Restores your iPod after doing the Disk Diagnostic, then Sync.

Good Luck!

IPOD 120gb not recognizing music and turning it to the "other" data catagory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.