9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2012 12:12 PM by Sarthak03
prajila Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I tried submitting my podcast to iTunes, but received this message:

“There is a problem with your feed. Your episodes are hosted on a server which doesn’t support byte-range requests. Enable byte-range requests and try your submission again.”

My feed url is http://www.rabbinicalassembly.org/audio/rss.xml

Can anyone suggest me.

Thanks

• Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9 (71,955 points)

Apple has now started making the ability for the server to handle 'byte-range requests' a requirement. This means the ability to request part of a file at a time, rather than the whole thing, and is the method used the the iPhone plays podcasts from the Store.

A number of servers don't provide this, and it was leading to a spate of complaints that podcasts would not play on an iPhone, though they were OK on a computer. As a result, and to prevent this, you now have to use a suitable server.

I'm afraid that if your hosting service cannot provide this you will have to find another one. You should start by taking it up with them. Failing that, you need to ask any proposed hosting service whether they accomodate this, and if they say 'no' or don't know what it is, find another.

• lionelmnr Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi

I have spoken to my hosting service about this and they said they couldn't provide this because of this security danger. I replied to them with this and waitng for a reply to see if they will adapt. However does anyone know of a hosting service that does allow byte-range request?

Thanks

I'm afraid there is no simple answer to this. Libsyn say that they can handle this: they are a complete podcasting hosting service I don't know whether they provide just server space) so I don't know if that's what you want. Otherwise you can only try asking a few services.

Note that you can keep your feed where it is if you want to, there's no problem about having the feed on one server and the media files on another.

• Robert Walch Level 4 Level 4 (1,610 points)

Hi,

I am with Libsyn - and yes we definitely support byte-range requests and are 100% compatible with iTunes.

If you want you can just host your media files with us and manage your feed on your own. 

Or you can host your feed and media files with us.

If you have any questions about our service please email me -   rob at wizzard dot tv

Regards,

Rob W

libsyn

• Travis Gardner Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

This is my new problem now too lol.

• Sarthak03 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Can u tell any server/host/website that accepts byte-range request and where i can upload my media files? I'm using Dropbox and it is showing the same error. Help needed badly!

There's no easy way of knowing without either asking (and hoping they know what they are talking about) or joining them and testing it (and then it's too late, of course). Robert Walch, who works for Libsyn, posts above that they do support this.

• Robert Walch Level 4 Level 4 (1,610 points)

Hi Sarthak03.

Yes - www.libsyn.com - does support byte-range requests.

Let me know if you have any questions about libsyn

rob at wizzard dot tv

Regards,

Rob Walch

libsyn

• Sarthak03 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Looking for a solution which is free. why it is so difficult to find a server that accepts byte-range request? Searching like ****. Cant find a solution yet. Anyone knows for sure that Dropbox wont work? Any site that will serve the purpose as Dropbox and accept byte-range requests?