Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the minimal Format of an iCal event to attach to an email?

Hello all!

I just finished a large order page for a taxi friend. I would like to send the order with an iCal event attached to an email. He should only click on this new file, to enter this pickup order to his iCal ...

I am struggling with the format. In my CGI script I have the following format, where the $variables are replaced with the convinient strings:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR

BEGIN:VEVENT

DTEND;TZID=Europe/Berlin:$ical_data_end

SUMMARY:$ical_summary

DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Berlin:$ical_data_start

DTSTAMP:$ical_dtstamp

SEQUENCE:0

DESCRIPTION:$ical_comment

BEGIN:VALARM

TRIGGER:-PT1H

DESCRIPTION:Event reminder

ACTION:DISPLAY

END:VALARM

END:VEVENT

END:VCALENDAR

Does a time string like "20120608T123500" has to finish with a "Z" ? Do I need additional informations, like "UID:", "X-WR-ALARMUID:" ... In any case my iCal event sent by email is not adding to the iCal saying: "iCal can't read this calendar. No events have been added to your iCal calendar."

I would be grateful for any hint

marek

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 5:34 AM

3 replies

Jun 7, 2012 9:52 AM in response to Marek Stepanek

I am searching and searching. I have two iCal attached files. The first one is named prag.ics the second one is name.ics Only the second one is not imported.

Both are nearly identical. Really I checked even the line endings (Unix) - and the rest is Unicode (utf8 without BOM). prag.ics has no line ending after the last line. So I changed the same in name.ics

Only differences are the time strings for: DTEND; DTSTART; DTSTAMP:

Putting all time strings from prag.ics to name.ics the name.ics is imported into iCal

If I change DTSTAMP: only from prag.ics to name.ics the iCal tries to import and import, until I have to finish it with "force quit".

So what the **** is the magic with DTSTAMP: ? Do I need here the string of creation date, when the iCal-event is saved on the desktop?

Here are coming both events. You may test. Be aware, testing "name.ics" you have to make a "force quit" clicking in the dock with ALT ...

***prag.ics***

DTEND;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20120527T064500

SUMMARY:München->Prag

DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20120527T054500

DTSTAMP:20120521T190638Z

***name.ics***

DTEND;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20120608T172500

SUMMARY:Name

DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20120608T182500

DTSTAMP:20120521T190638Z

Jun 7, 2012 10:44 AM in response to Marek Stepanek

Surprise Surprise!

I realized after heavy testing, that a DTSTAMP: is not needed.

But there is apparently a problem with the DATE-TIME format: Perhaps for other readers, which are in such a desparate situation, as I am since two days now!!! here some explanations:

The reference about iCal format you find in RFC 5546

DTSTART; and DTEND; have a time string like follows:

yyyymmddThhmmss

In the middle the big letter "T". But you have to add the time zone: for me it is the following:

DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20120608T062500

Now the big surprise: this time format with an hour over 12 ooops! I tested now once again like follows

DTEND;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20120608T212500

DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20120608T202500

changing the hh (hours) with one hour difference up until here. 10 Minutes again, iCal was freezing with hours over 19. I swear!

Ok to answer my original question: What is the minimal format of an iCal event, which you may attach to an email:

DTEND;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20120608T212500

SUMMARY:Name

DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20120608T202500

But be aware, that this is buggy. Be carefull and have a nice evening

marek

What is the minimal Format of an iCal event to attach to an email?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.