Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive Failure!

Hi Guys,

I need a bit of help with the following.

I have a 1TB GTech GRaid external hard drive, which seems to have gone on the blink.

When I start it up it spins into action but then following a small clicking sound winds back down again. It then spins up again, and then with a click winds back down again. This goes on and on and on...

What is the best way of hooking up the internals of this drive directly to the Mac Pro?

Or is there a better option to start the drive as it stands, without having to open it up?

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 6:11 AM

3 replies

Jun 7, 2012 10:59 AM in response to A1ps

If I am not mistaken, the GRAID enclosure is a multiple drive enclosure with a built in RAID0 function. You cannot pull the drives and attach them to a regular SATA connection, like inside the MacPro, and have the volume mount. The enclosure/bridge created the RAID, without the bridge the RAID won't function or be mountable.

Rick

Jun 8, 2012 2:13 AM in response to Ricks-

Not what I wanted to read 😢

Ricks, I think you're right about the configuration.

I got a quote on having the data retrieved. The amount they are asking for is astronomical .

I had some one else also suggest trying a different power supply unit as these sometime limit the power hence the drive not being able to fully spin up.

I can hear mine spinning. But then spinning back down again.

Going to source a PSU this weekend and keep my fingers crossed.

A lesson well learned I think. Have a double back up. 😟

External Hard Drive Failure!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.