Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to unlock my iPad 3 4G from operator?

I got my iPad from Dubai and it appeared to be locked on AT&T, we were not informed about that when bought it. I live in Sweden and here we don't have this operator, i tried to reach swedish office for AT&T, but they couldn't help and i can't contact american office from here. What should i do to be able to use my iPad 3 with a swedish mobile operator? It is really useless to have an iPad without a mobile connection and i don't want to buy apple-products in the future if they are hopelessly locked on operators and the company doesn't care that i can't use this product.

MainStage, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 6:18 AM

43 replies

Jun 7, 2012 7:16 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Well, apparantly, they are locked. I have already been to a local operator office, they have put in their sim-card and the iPad said it was an invalid sim-card. Then i called to Apple-support office here in Sweden and we tried to reset the network options and after doing so my iPad still shows that a local sim-card is invalid and it shows that the operator is AT&T, so Apple-support guy told me that iPad is locked on this operator.

And the operator i went to is the largest operator in Sweden who supports everything, at least for all other models of iPad and other tabletts.

Does anyone have any other ideas? It could work if someone called USA's AT&T and asked them, because i can't call them

thanks

Jun 7, 2012 7:21 AM in response to Fransk

You can insist that iPads are locked all you want but I can assure you they are not. Did you read the iPad specifications I linked to? If it is not working then either your provider does not support iPad data plans, the sim they are trying is defective, your iPad is broken, they are trying an iPhone sim thinking it is the same as an iPad sim, or they just don't know what they are doing.

Jun 7, 2012 7:22 AM in response to Fransk

I got my iPad from Dubai ... I live in Sweden.

Apple sells its products in individual countries for a reason. All Apple products are not necessarily useable in other countries, especially the iOS devices that are cellular capable. Are you sure that the issue is that you have an AT&T model or do you actually have a model for Verizon. Whereas the AT&T model in the US is GSM and should work on almost any GSM network in the world, the Verizon model is not, it is CDMA

Also, what model of iPad do you have? The iPad and the iPad 2 models for Verizon only work on Verizon and Verizon's roaming partners, after you have a Verizon account. The new iPad (3rd generation) for Verizon also has a slot for a GSM SIM card and should work on most GSM systems in the world with a local SIM card.

I don't want to buy apple-products in the future if they are hopelessly locked on operators and the company doesn't care that i can't use this product.

That's a stupid threat based on your own ignorance, not something that Apple has done wrong. Perhaps in the future you should get a bit more information about specific products before you buy them, especially when you buy them in a country different from your own.

Jun 7, 2012 7:29 AM in response to Dah•veed

Dah•veed wrote:

I got my iPad from Dubai ... I live in Sweden.

Apple sells its products in individual countries for a reason. All Apple products are not necessarily useable in other countries, especially the iOS devices that are cellular capable. Are you sure that the issue is that you have an AT&T model or do you actually have a model for Verizon. Whereas the AT&T model in the US is GSM and should work on almost any GSM network in the world, the Verizon model is not, it is CDMA

Also, what model of iPad do you have? The iPad and the iPad 2 models for Verizon only work on Verizon and Verizon's roaming partners, after you have a Verizon account. The new iPad (3rd generation) for Verizon also has a slot for a GSM SIM card and should work on most GSM systems in the world with a local SIM card.

I don't want to buy apple-products in the future if they are hopelessly locked on operators and the company doesn't care that i can't use this product.

That's a stupid threat based on your own ignorance, not something that Apple has done wrong. Perhaps in the future you should get a bit more information about specific products before you buy them, especially when you buy them in a country different from your own.

The OP said they have an iPad 3, I assume he meant New iPad. So whether it is a Verizon or AT&T model is not relevant. The New iPads are not locked and can be used world-wide where there is a local provider that supports iPad data plans.

Jun 7, 2012 7:33 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I don't insist on it, i just want to solve my problem.

I tried to analyse it:

- in options it says that operator is AT&T 12.0, and it still says it even after i reinstalled options for network with the apple-support-guy's assistance

- the local provider supplies data plans for iPad, at least for iPad and iPad 2 because i know several people who uses it and in the store they told me it works with iPad 3 aswell

- the sim-card is probably ok because we tried two of them and even after restoring iPad 3 to basic intalls. it still says that operator is AT&T

both seller in the local provider store and a guy from apple-support told me that it is locked, so i don't know what to belive, anyway, the problem still remains - i can not use my iPad on 4G network here.....

..... so, i would gladly just believe it is not lock and drop it, but it doesn't work....

Jun 8, 2012 2:32 AM in response to Fransk

Hello, i have got my ipad 3 in US and now i am in central asia, and mine is also locked. You can still say that it is impossible, but it happened. When i entered this discussion i was expecting to find out how to solve my problem. By the way mine was working for couple of weeks with a local simcard before it got locked. Dont know what to do. I have bought it in US because the specifications said that i can change the operator if i want, now it seems that it was not true.

Jun 8, 2012 6:31 AM in response to Fransk

Fransk wrote:

I got my iPad from Dubai and it appeared to be locked on AT&T,

Your iPad is not locked.

Also, it will not have FaceTime and possibly iMessage (and you cannot enable it).

See this document (last updated 24 April) -> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

Country Carrier Carrier Support Locked to carrier Carrier offers
authorized unlocking1
Visual Voicemail Carrier offers MMS1 Carrier offers Personal Hotspot1
User uploaded file
United Arab Emirates4
Etisalat Etisalat Support3
DU DU Support3

Notes:

1. May include an additional fee or requirement. Contact carrier for more information.
  2. If iPhone has been serviced, it may have a different part number.
  3. Technical support for iPhone in this region is provided by the carrier, not Apple.
  4. FaceTime is not available in this country.
  5. FaceTime may be unavailable if your device originates from this region and becomes unlocked or is used in another country.

Jun 8, 2012 7:16 AM in response to Chris CA

Of course, that would only apply to an iPad that was manufactured for the UAE. If his is gray/black market, such as it would have been if he got it prior to the UAE release, then all bets are off. And it sounds like his may be a US iPad.

And I do have this niggling memory of reading a comment that the AT&T iPad 3rd Generation is somehow tied to AT&T. For example, I remember folks with an iPad 2 stating that moving the iPad 2's SIM to their new iPad 3 didn't work, that they had to buy a new AT&T SIM.

Jun 16, 2012 8:06 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

The following extracts are taken directly from Apple's support forums and may offer an explanation as to why the guy from Sweden is having difficulty accessing the 4G LTE network there.

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular supports 4G LTE connectivity when used with the following carriers:

Country Carrier
User uploaded file
Canada
Bell
Rogers
Telus

User uploaded file
United States

AT&T

Verizon

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular does not support LTE in any other countries, carriers, or networks.

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular is compatible with all carriers that support iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, with additional support for fast 3G networks, including HSPA, HSPA+, and DC-HSDPA.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5205# for the full article.

Jun 16, 2012 8:53 AM in response to pleasure_seeker

"may offer an explanation as to why the guy from Sweden is having difficulty accessing the 4G LTE network there."

He never said anything about LTE.

Also, it should connect via 3G or even EDGE as noted in your post.

"iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular is compatible with all carriers that support iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, with additional support for fast 3G networks, including HSPA, HSPA+, and DC-HSDPA."

How to unlock my iPad 3 4G from operator?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.