Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 08 Mac Pro Airport Trouble

Hi all,

I ran into a slow internet problem on my early 08 Mac Pro (x x 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon, 4 GB DDR2).

I've had it hooked up to internet via ethernet cable for about a year now and everything was fine. Last week, I moved the computer to a sunnier room (guest bedroom was too dark, gets kinda depression). Since I didn't have an ethernet cable long enough (and there is no cable outlet), I started using Airport to connect to internet. The Router and Modem are still in my guest bedroom. I immediately noticed that my internet connection has slow to a crawl. At first I thought I was out of range for my router (the rooms are not that far apart, but it was a valid theory). So I tested with my laptop (MBP 15'' early 09), iPad and iPhone sitting on the same desk as my pro (pro is under the desk, of course), all worked fine on the wifi (with my laptop clocked an impressive 13.97 Mbps download and 5.59 Mbps upload according to Speedtest.net).

When I opened network diagnostic window, I noticed the ISP / Internet/ Server lights keep switching from green to red. Has anyone seen this before? Do I have a bad Airport component? Is there a test I can run?

Thanks.

Angela

Mac Pro 08, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:27 AM

12 replies

Jun 23, 2012 8:38 AM in response to OrangePanda

I am having the same problem. I have 2 MBP's an iPad and 2 iPhones that have no trouble with my wireless network (Airport Extreme Base Station) sitting next to my MacPro. My MacPro, however, is "crawling". When I try to download anything (whether on the App Store, Software Update, or just browse in Safari or Firefox) connection speeds are reidiculously slow (1kbs to 15kbs). The MacPro indicates that the wireless signal is sufficient (full bars) but say, if I am trying to connect to Apple's update server to download a larger update, it always says I am no longer connected to the internet (the delay between initiating an update and this message varies widely). If I am updating something that is 40 to 60 MB, or so, I might get this downloaded after 5 or 6 attempts and 45 minutes. My ISP is rated at 18M connection speed.

Jun 23, 2012 10:06 AM in response to OrangePanda

The changing Wi-FI Icon, showing signal strength of one to five bars does not always tell the whole story.

One problem with these things in cities is interference from neighbors' networks on the same channel, or "Network Hopping" if you have not told your Mac explicitly to use only your Network.

In 10.7, there is a tool to show detailed signal strength information:

http://subrosasoft.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/hidden-wi-fi-diagnostics-tool-in-mac -os-x-10-7-lion

You can also use the free utility istumbler:

http://www.istumbler.com/

It is not an accident that almost every troubleshooting guide suggests you power cycle your Router as an early step. This will tend to force your Router to find the least-busy channel and use it.

Jun 26, 2012 9:43 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi All,

so it looks like it was my aged router on its last leg.

I didn't think it was the router since I was getting wifi on all my other devices (mbp, iPhone and iPad). Eventually, the speed slowed to a crawl. After being on the phone with my ISP, I realized that it was time to get a new router (old one was almost 6 years old).

The new one fix the problem right away =D

Thanks for all your help

Angela

Jun 26, 2012 12:04 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I have power cycled Airport Extreme Base Station 15 times (this is no exaggeration), I have cycled power to internet several times, as well.

I am getting the following average numbers on the Lion Wi-Fi Diagnostics (thanks for that resource)...

MacPro

txPower 1496

txRate 5

Signal -81

Noise --88

MacBookPro

txPower 1496

tx rate 39

Signal -73

Noise -87

To be clear, it is the MacPro giving the above problem with internet speed.

Thanks

Rick

Jun 26, 2012 12:38 PM in response to sarkged

MacPro

Signal -81

Noise --88

Those numbers are really awful. I am surprised you get a connection, much less any data transfer

MacBook Pro

Signal -73

Noise -87

Those numbers are dismal.

You may be too far away from your Router (or way too close -- there will be a small dead spot around it).

You may be getting interference from another Network nearby. Those numbers are too poor to expect reasonable performance.

Jun 26, 2012 7:46 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Those numbers are indeed negative numbers from a logarithmic scale. Signal must be closer to Zero (smaller absolute value) than the noise, or you have nothing. Then the difference between the two negative numbers should be looked up in this table:

SNR Guideline

• 40+dB = Excellent signal
  • 25dB to 40dB = Very good signal
  • 15dB to 25dB = Low signal
  • 10dB to 15dB = Very low signal
  • 5dB to 10dB = Little or no signal

To test, get a longer Ethernet cable and a longer extension cord and walk the base station around and try it in different places. Solid Masonry stuff like chimneys kills the signal. Electrically noisy equipment, motors, old fluorescent light fixtures, Microwave ovens, baby monitors may all cause problems.

Early 08 Mac Pro Airport Trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.