Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Window Size in Safari

Is it possible to set a default window size when launching Safari and/or opening new windows in Safari?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 2:03 PM

7 replies

Jun 5, 2017 10:31 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

The problem I'm having is that on my iMac, Safari seems to go through periods where no matter what I do, it ALWAYS opens new windows in a very annoying "letterbox" size. Quitting and rebooting don't seem to help. It'll do this for weeks, and then eventually at random it will go back to opening new windows in the size I want. There ought to be some place in the preferences where you can manually set the desired window size and have it stay that way.

BTW I'm currently running OS X El Capitan, and Safari 10.1.1 -- but this problem has been going on for the past several versions of both Safari and the OS.

Jun 8, 2012 12:54 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

That is how I thought it worked.

Please allow me to further expand on the issue I'm having and perhaps you can shed some light on that.

I resize the Safari window to the size I would like to be however when I open a radio streaming site I frequently use, which is a smaller window size by its default, it resets my window size and the next time I launch Safari and open a new window the window is the smaller default size not the size I set for it. The obvious solution would be to use a different web browser for the streaming site. I take it there is no way to set Safari to open a window at a certain size to prevent this from happening?

Mar 29, 2015 2:32 PM in response to Linc Davis

I was here earlier and didn't "like" or "grok" any of the answers but, later, grey matter synapses kicked in and I remembered how. [Am I having increasing senior moments?] The whole thing is better understood if you remember that your cursor, when placed on a window border, becomes like and acts like a needle-nosed plier with which you can pinch, grab and pull that side like a window shade to whatever position you want. So, up and down, side to side, you can literally fit it your needs of the moment and change it at any time.

Window Size in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.