Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I open up a .mkv in quicktime?

I am trying to open something in Quicktime with ".mkv at the end. I could not so I tryed DIVX+ and it said this "You may need an additional audio decoder to play the soundtrack of this file.

This file contains a track in the Dolby AC3 Audio (code "8192") format. You may need to install a QuickTime™ component for this audio format in order to hear the soundtrack of this file." What do i do?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 3:36 PM

Can I get a reply?

9 replies

Jun 8, 2012 1:27 PM in response to TimeSCorpion7

Some people are "obsessed" with using quicktime which is why I mention how to do it there. And eventually I won't even be able to recommend getting Perian since its developers are stopping support on it (read statement at the link I gave). Get while you can anyhow just in case.

Personally I would use vlc and I recommend it (although I still use vlc 1.1.12, the newer and current vlc 2.0.1 has a few growing pains but pretty much works). I use it strictly for video playing because it has options most others have. Turn on it's advanced options you will see settings for practically everything under the sun related to video and the audio tracks.

One vlc option (a preference setting) I like is that I don't have to move the vlc movie player on to the screen I want to play full screen video on. Most every other video player, like flash in a browser, expands to full screen on the screen it's video window is currently on. When I enable my TV for video, I can click the video to open vlc and it starts playing full screen on my TV without me having to do anything. I don't have to move any windows off my main monitor.

Feb 19, 2013 2:43 AM in response to TimeSCorpion7

Выбираете QT Player, правой кнопкой - показать содержимое пакета, заходите в папку Content, находите файл info.plist, копируете его куда-нить или открываете тексовый редактор из под root. В этот файл перед последними тэгами </dict></plist> добавляете:

Код:

<key>UTExportedTypeDeclarations</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>UTTypeConformsTo</key>
<array>
<string>public.movie</string>
</array>
<key>UTTypeDescription</key>
<string>Matroska Video File</string>
<key>UTTypeIconName</key>
<string>generic</string>
<key>UTTypeIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.quicktime.mkv</string>
<key>UTTypeReferenceURL</key>
<string>http://www.matroska.org/</string>
<key>UTTypeTagSpecification</key>
<dict>
<key>public.filename-extension</key>
<array>
<string>mkv</string>
</array>
</dict>
</dict>
</array>

Если копировали файл info.plist, то копируете его с заменой обратно в папку contentДалее в терминале

В терминале

Код:

touch /Applications/QuickTime\ Player.app

Будет открываться в плеере и через quicklook

How do I open up a .mkv in quicktime?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.