5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2012 7:11 AM by Allan Jones
Qwertii Level 1 (0 points)

Hi! I used to own a 12" 1.33 GHz iBook G4 until it was broken, and now I'm buying a G4 PowerBook 15" 1.33 GHz model. Will the charger from my iBook work with it?

• Kappy Level 10 (266,058 points)

Most likely the plugs are not the same, but more importantly the wattage required by the PB is more than the iBook. The latter's charger does not have the power needed by the PB.

So, no it would not work.

• Qwertii Level 1 (0 points)

The plugs are the same for them, but I didn't know about the wattage problem. It would probably be enough to keep it running and won't blow it out though. Thanks! Also, once I can afford it, does anybody know of any third-party chargers that the PowerBook can handle? Thanks!

• Kappy Level 10 (266,058 points)

Do a Google search for help with old chargers as well as look on eBay.

• Knucklesmac Level 4 (2,225 points)

Hello

The plugs are the same, but the wattage is different. A 12" PowerBook Alu can use a iBook 45 Watt power supply without any problems. Sadly a 15" PowerBook Alu will not work with a iBook power supply as it's 65 Watts.

All iBook use a 45 Watt Power supply, while all 15 and 17 Inch PowerBooks use 65 Watt.

Hope this helps

• Allan Jones Level 7 (33,977 points)

You can get a reliable and inexpensive, third-party PS here:

Newer Technology 65W AC Power Adapter PowerBook G4, iBook G4 & G3

I bought one of these for a friend over five years ago and it is still chugging along. You do not show a geographic location but the US company I linked shipped to many countries outside the US.