Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

all my documents wont open, it says they are in the trash

I imported documents from an external hard drive, so they all went on my desk top. then I moved each document where I wanted it to go in application and created folders to each. to get rid of all the icons on the desktop, i put them in the trash. now when I try to open one of those documents in my folders in applications, it says its in the trash. what do I do so I can open a document but so that theyare still in folders and not all over my desktop?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 10:08 PM

5 replies

Jun 7, 2012 10:42 PM in response to X423424X

I just got this mac, so things are new to me - one thing is, that when I open applications, it says "trash" at the top of certain folders. these are replicated in the trash. however, if I drag that document to the desktop, I can open it, and it looks like it is not in the trash anymore. My goal is to have all my documents in folders (which I did initially) and be able to open them without dragging to desktop each time. I tried moving docs from trash to desktop and that did not fix the problem either. Thank you, any other ideas to solve this? thanks!

Jun 7, 2012 11:39 PM in response to X423424X

ok, this is what I did - I moved all the items from folders I had created to the "Documents" folder. now I can open these files. However, all of the original folders I created state "trash" at the top of them, and I want to get rid of those and make new folders to partition all of my files into (again!)

**note if I create a new folder and transfer a file from documents into this file, it will open as per usual. ** this is super confusing to me.

so to sum up my main ne w issue is : how do I delete folders I dont want anymore? I tried draggin to trash, and that did not work. thank you so much!

all my documents wont open, it says they are in the trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.