Previous 1 2 Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2012 6:43 PM by LOCALVO
Steeler2 Level 1 (0 points)

Recently when trying to save utility bills from Safari (pdf files) I get a message saying that the file cannot be "Exported" although I am using the "Save As" command. Why is this happening?  I have recently upgraded to Lion, could this be responsible?  I also cannot print off the bills even though they are displayed clearly on the screen.  Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro
  • clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 (30,000 points)

When you need to print out something as a pdf onscreen, simply use the "Print" dialog box. In the bottom left-hand corner you'll see button that says PDF. This is a drop-down menu that will allow you to "Save as PDF".

Hope this helps,

Clinton

• X423424X Level 6 (14,215 points)

Remove the following files from your system.  On your boot drive,

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

These were installed when you installed Adobe Reader.  Apparently there's a problem with these with the current flock of browsers.

Note, you may also have to remove PDF Browser Plugin.plugin if it's in there too.

And if that is the problem (it's notably a problem with Firefox, I know - I don't use Safari) a good alternate that works with Firefox is PDF Browser Plugin 2.4.4. I'm on the beta 14 release and it's still just chomping along!

Clinton

I don't have any of them installed.  If I want to view a pdf I download it and view it in Preview or Adobe Reader.

Just remember to use Adobe Reader if you're filling out any forms that will be submitted. Preview screws them up!

Regards,

Clinton

I prefer Reader to Preview anyhow since searching in Preview $ucks.

• Steeler2 Level 1 (0 points)

Many thanks, that seems to have solved it.  Does that mean that I should not accept any software upgrades from Adobe?

No.  It just means that if you happen to have occasion to download another newer Adobe Reader whenever it comes out, and you have the same pdf problem, you know that (a) they haven't fixed whatever they broke and (b) you know how to work around the problem by removing those two plugins.

Why should you not download, say, a new Adobe Flash plugin, just because there's a problem with the Adobe Reader plugin?

• Steeler2 Level 1 (0 points)

OK, thanks.

And there's a new Flash Player that came out today (or yesterday - 11.3.300.257.

You should upgrade to the newest version.

Clinton

Yes. I know.  It was Friday.  And for you or anyone else reading this there's a slight new "wrinkle" with this new flash player installer (11.3.300.257).

The latest flash player installer now installs a new /LaunchDaemons/com.adobe.fpsaud.plist which will fire every hour to launch another newly installed code file, /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Player Install Manager/fpsaud, which is used to check for updates.

If you don't want this behavior then open the newly installed Adobe Player system preference, Advanced tab, and under Updates choose "Never check for updates".  You can remove the launch daemon after that.

If you don't turn off update checking and you are using Little Snitch or Hands Off then those should alert to fpsaud attempting to call out.   Don't confuse this with malware attempting to call out.  It's not.

Note, to go along with this new installation the Adobe Flash Uninstaller has also been updated.  So you should download the recent version of it when you need to uninstall the Flash plugin installation.  Get it from here.

• powerbook1701 Level 3 (565 points)

When I first installed, it gave me the options at the end of the install process on whether or not I want Adobe to background update.  If one stops it that this point, is any of the above installed? (as oppose to saying yes at the end and changing one's mind later).

Open System Preferences and go to Other>Flash Player, if it's already installed. You can change the download options there.

Regards,

Clinton

Previous 1 2 Next