Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating files from PC to Mac

Can I migrate my existing files created using windows to Mac without buying softeware?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 12:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 12:59 AM

Yes. You can use Migration Assistant, built into the Mac OS, to migrate files, user accounts, etc., from a PC to a Mac.

"If you didn’t transfer your information to your Mac when you first set it up, you can use Migration Assistant to transfer your information at any time. For example, using Migration Assistant, you can transfer your user account—including all your pictures, music, and files—from a PC to your Mac."

Hope this helps,

Clinton

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2012 12:59 AM in response to GeorgeBo

Yes. You can use Migration Assistant, built into the Mac OS, to migrate files, user accounts, etc., from a PC to a Mac.

"If you didn’t transfer your information to your Mac when you first set it up, you can use Migration Assistant to transfer your information at any time. For example, using Migration Assistant, you can transfer your user account—including all your pictures, music, and files—from a PC to your Mac."

Hope this helps,

Clinton

Aug 18, 2012 2:06 AM in response to GeorgeBo

You need to use your PC itself, if you can (and still have it) to use Migration Assistant - not a backup disk. You can, of course, just drag stuff from your BU disk (.zip files, mp3, .doc, etc) to your new Mac but the best thing to do is to have both your Mac and your PC on the same network and use MA to transfer from your PC to your Mac (or vice-versa, there's a Migration Assitant for Windows as well).

Then you can go back to your hard drive and copy files to your Mac if you wish.

Let me know if this doesn't make any sense... I'm running low on coffee tonight...

Clinton

Migrating files from PC to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.