Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 11 and FCP 7 workflow?

Guys, please bear with me on this one;

I'm working with a client who has a fair bit of material, which he intends on importing onto an external HD using Imovie 11 and then naming, sorting and organising for me prior to me editing the footage on FCP 7.

Will this be possible?

Or would it be better if I could somehow import all the footage using my FCP 7 and passing the HD to him to name and organise on his iMovie 11?

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 5:39 AM

5 replies

Jun 8, 2012 6:47 AM in response to A1ps

stay clear of imovie if you will be editing with FCP.

I would rather log and import properly using FCP than ever contemplate someone else providing clips from iMovie.

They may think they are doing you a favour but youl get tied up in knots later.

Send them a burnt in timecode version of all the material to an H264or other convenient file, get them to playback in Quicktime player then they type in the time codes for in and out with clip names in a word processor, which you then use to edit.

Jun 8, 2012 7:11 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks Gary. That sounds like a much safer plan.

Alterantively, would it be possible for me to Log and Import all the footage to an external drive, which he can then play on his iMovie 11 and then simply place all the Imported Files into Folder and then re-label & number the Folders? I then can take the HD back and all he has to do is give me the timecodes?

Hope that made sense 😊

Jun 8, 2012 8:34 AM in response to A1ps

FCP 7 and iMovie 11 do not mix...in any way, shape or form. Period. Do not do anything in iMovie that you intend to take to FCP...do not do anything in FCP that eventually will end up in iMovie. They are completely different. If they are using iMovie 11, then you need to capture and organize in iMovie 11. If you need the project to be in FCP 7, then start it in FCP 7.

The only version of FCP that works with iMovie is FCP-X. You can start projects in iMovie, and convert them to FCP-X projects. I don't think you can go the other way though.

Jun 8, 2012 10:54 AM in response to A1ps

As Shane says; "FCP 7 and iMovie 11 do not mix..."

I would still suggest the workflow above, the broadcast industry has used the (off line / online) editing principle for 20 years from the launch of Quicktime in 1992 so its well proven.

We still use this on every major project we edit to co-ordinate work in post between editors, producers, sound and grading.

iMovie 11 and FCP 7 workflow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.