8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2012 5:40 PM by thomas_r.
gymnopedie Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I remember when posting questions was a quick way to solve most problems.  Now half of my posts never get answered at all, and those that do are rarely helpful.  Is it just me, or have others had similar experiences?  Do you think fewer people are using the discussions, or is it the other way around?  I'm more curious than annoyed, and I just wonder what has changed.

• Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8 (45,425 points)

More people than ever are using these forums. I am sorry that your two questions have not been answered to your satisfaction. Try asking them again in the correct forums.

• gymnopedie Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

If you are implying that I misfiled my questions, please enlighten me with your suggestions.

• Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8 (45,425 points)

I am not implying anything, just reminding you that the place for technical questions is the appropriate hardware or software forums.

You comments about the forums in general was correctly posted here - but will not get your problems solved!

• Tom Gewecke Level 9 Level 9 (74,465 points)

gymnopedie wrote:

I just wonder what has changed.

From my own observations, I think 10.7 is more prone to problems that affect very few people and that nobody knows a fix for.  I think I have had to "give up" trying to help people in the areas I cover more often than for earlier versions.

• Limnos Level 8 Level 8 (40,720 points)

One factor is simply the number of posts from users combined with somebody actually knowing the answer to your specific question.  If it is a heavily posted forum and somebody is not around who knows the answer to your question, your post can scroll off the first page pretty quickly.

It does seem to me there are more contributors around these days, but there are also more forums (note the plethora of i-gadgets) so I think we're still spread thinly.

Pplease keep in mind we are all volunteers.  Once I start helping somebody I do feel a kind of Chinese obligation to follow through as much as I can, but it is difficult to tell my wife I am sorry I cannot come to supper right now because I am helping somebody who forgot to back up their iTunes folder (EMERGENCY! URGENT!!!!) get their computer ready for a party tonight.

Also, remember some of us may not even know what it is you are asking ("Mission Control"??? - check my profile below ).

• thomas_r. Level 7 Level 7 (29,775 points)

The changes to these forums about a year ago chased off some of the old regulars who had problems adjusting.  That, plus the proliferation of new forums for new devices has made keeping up difficult.  I can generally keep up with a few forums only.  And even there, I don't read or try to answer the majority of the topics, because they are not in my area of expertise or interest, or even sometimes because I just plain don't want to get involved in a topic that I can tell is going to involve intensive explanation of how to use the computer from the ground up.

In the case of your question about app switching, I've posted a response there.

• Limnos Level 8 Level 8 (40,720 points)

I just plain don't want to get involved in a topic that I can tell is going to involve intensive explanation of how to use the computer from the ground up.

Yeah, I never see you around the iTunes for Mac forum. 

• thomas_r. Level 7 Level 7 (29,775 points)

I don't think I've ever even looked in there!    I mainly hang out in the Lion and MacBook Pro forums.  That's about all I have time for.  I tried the iPad forum for a while, but after the ten thousandth "Why can't I run Flash?" topic, I gave that up.