Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Sharing with VNC - password encryption?

Hello,

I am attempting to set up Screen Sharing between two iMacs. (Snow Leopard on the iMac I'll be sharing, Lion for the iMac I'll use to access the shared screen.)

Basically, my question is when I try to connect with VNC, is the password Encrypted? I've searched Google and these forums but no one seems to answer that question. (Maybe I'm asking it wrong.)

In this scenario:

GO > CONNECT TO SERVER> vnc://username:password@ip.add.ress.here

...does it send that initial connection attempt in plain text or is it encrypted? I've seen How-Tos showing how to encrypt the data between screens once the connection has been made, but that's not quite good enough. I'd like to assume that the initial connection is encrypted but with sensitive data at risk, I can't make that assumption.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. 🙂

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 10:37 AM

4 replies

Jun 8, 2012 1:19 PM in response to AbrahamAbutineh

I am using the screensharing that Apple provides.

Linc -

The wording on that previously existing post is confusing.

"If you have Screen Sharing enabled but you do NOT allow a VNC password, then connections are done via secure username/password exchange, however, all VNC traffic after that is in the clear."

eh, what? What does "in the clear" mean?

Screen Sharing with VNC - password encryption?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.