Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages Templates aren't working the same in Lion.

filmgirl102

Jun 8, 2012 12:41 AM

In Snow Leopard, I used to create a template, name it according to which font, page #'s and narrow or wide margins. Each time I opened a new template page and saved it, it saved a new document and left the template alone. That isn't happening anymore. It's creating one template after another. What is going on? it was simple, clean and now, it's all these extra steps of use a previous untitled template that I created, type, duplicate, rename the doc and save in Documents which becomes difficult to get to documents and out of the my templates folder in Users.

What did Lion do to things that used to be so simple. The ONLY reason I upgraded to it was I wanted my email addy and didn't want to go to some other mail system. I wish I had never done it, now.

I have arthritis and each extra stroke and thumb movement makes more problems for my hands. I have no devices and don't want any so why make my computer like an iPod or other device when it was fine the way it was in Snow Leopard. OH, well, now to learn.

Film

MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Pages 4.1

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 11:05 PM

Lion didn't change how Pages Templates work. But a Pages update after Lion was released did change how Save As worked.

Please explain how you're making and using templates as this may help us understand what's happening.

Thanks.

3 replies

Jun 9, 2012 12:09 AM in response to Dale Gillard

Apple care iapp made an exception in this case and found out that when I make a custom template have to make sure that button that gives me a dialog and I choose Save As Template and close Pages with command Q. Then, I open pages again, click on the templates chooser and it now brings up an untitled pages document.

Then, once I finish typing the untitled, I press command Save and make sure the dialog is open and click on my home folder, find documents folder and change the choice to documents, click choose and done, slick and pretty.

What I didn't know is that I had both documents and custom templates in My Templates folder in Users in the library.

Didn't realize that i had to go to my home folder. I made a short cut to get to Library-user-...my templates folder and save the custom template. That way when I click on that template and open it in My Templates, an untitled .pages doc opens and I can use it like always.

I didn't know how to say this because I didn't know what I was doing. He did a remote whatever you call it and saw immediately what I'd done and knew that I didin't want to buy Pages and re-install it. Some kind of chat person helped me figure out what to say to the adviser that answered at the Apple Care number, so I did, and she got me to and iapp person. I had to have it working before Tuesday. Lion changed everything. Very frustrating when I called six times and it wasn't until I got the chat after I checked make an exception in the expresslane.apple.com come to think about it.

It's solved. Next time it means I have to go to One-to-One for help no matter how long it takes me to solve something. I told him the communities told me to re-install pages and he said, 'You really don't want to do that." it's all I could find about this topic.

I could find very little on the topic or question and really don't know how to use the communities if there isn't much in the way of answers to similar questions. I did think to bookmark the page with what I found.

See, I dont' know how to use Communities. Where do I go to learn?

Film

Jun 9, 2012 8:52 AM in response to filmgirl102

What I didn't know is that I had both documents and custom templates in My Templates folder in Users in the library. Didn't realize that i had to go to my home folder. I made a short cut to get to Library-user-...my templates folder and save the custom template. That way when I click on that template and open it in My Templates, an untitled .pages doc opens and I can use it like always.

As you found out, templates are saved in a special folder and everyday documents you do make should be saved somewhere else, eg the Documents folder in your Home directory.

NB You do not need to make a shortcut to the Library/…/My Templates folder. If you choose File > Save As Template… then Pages will automatically offer to save your template to the Library/…/My Templates folder.

Pages Templates aren't working the same in Lion.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.